For people with failing hearts, each day can feel like a struggle. For some, managing heart failure symptoms is enough. But for people with advanced heart failure, a heart transplant may offer a second chance at life.
Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute provides heart transplant surgery, with results that compare to the best in the country. We provide lifelong care for people who have had a heart transplant here or elsewhere. We also support those who had a childhood transplant at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and then transition into the adult program.
Datasource: Heart Transplant Ken
Why Choose Memorial for Heart Transplant?
We were the first in Broward County to offer heart transplants for adults. We remain committed to serving people with heart failure in South Florida and beyond by offering:
- Patient- and family-centered care: We help you coordinate specialist visits and keep track of care information so you can concentrate on your well-being. We work with your family members to ensure you have a network in place as you prepare for heart transplant and recovery. Together, we’ll help you focus on what matters most: getting better and getting back to your life.
- Team of specialists: A heart transplant requires a large team of people working together before, during and after surgery. Our team includes:
- Advanced heart failure cardiologists who specialize in heart transplants
- Heart specialists such as interventional cardiologists, electrophysiologists (EPs) and heart imaging experts
- Heart transplant surgeons
- Certified heart failure nurses and nurse practitioners who specialize in transplant and VAD (ventricular assist device) care
- Physicians and advanced practice nurses who specialize in critical care medicine
- A support team including social workers, psychologists, nutritionists and pain management specialists
- TotalHeart care: Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute takes a comprehensive approach to heart care. Our full range of treatments leading up to heart transplant includes ventricular assist devices (VAD) and medical therapy for heart failure. We have expertise in treating conditions such as coronary artery disease, heart valve disease and adult congenital heart disease.
- 24/7 support: A heart transplant and VAD coordinator is only a phone call away, and we answer the phone all hours of the day or night. Patients and family members can call 954-232-5094 if they have questions or concerns about care.
- Memorial Transplant Institute: In addition to heart transplant, Memorial offers other organ transplants, including kidney transplant. We are dedicated to growing our transplant program to serve the people of South Florida and beyond.
- Access to pediatric heart transplants: Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital has a highly successful pediatric heart transplant program. Because of this companion program, we can offer heart care for all ages, including infants. Heart transplant requires lifelong follow-up, so being able to keep the continuum of care for children and their families in one system offers convenience and peace of mind.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about heart and vascular care at Memorial, call 855-400-6284.