I am a cardiologist at Memorial Healthcare System specializing in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology. I'm board certified in internal medicine, general cardiology, adult echocardiography, nuclear cardiology, and have completed training in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology.
At Memorial, I care for patients with refractory cases of heart failure, which is a common pathway for any form of severe heart disease. In many cases, we use mechanical circulatory support devices (either temporary or permanent) to aid a failing heart. I also provide pre- and post-heart transplantation care management.
I love how medicine provides a humanistic approach to science and technology. Every patient is different and I believe as a physician, I need to understand the patient before the condition. Understanding what someone is experiencing, going through and their goals and dreams helps me to help them improve their health and heart function.
It's also equally important for patients to understand their specific heart condition. I truly believe that the better informed a patient is, the better they will do. This is one of the reasons that I try to describe the road a patient can expect to be on and what challenges may be ahead of them. A road map can really help patients deal with the stress and uncertainties of a complicated condition.
Related Medical Services
Universidad de San Martin de Porres, 2008
Henry Ford Hospital, 2013, Internal Medicine
Henry Ford Hospital, 2015, Internal Medicine
Henry Ford Hospital, 2018, Cardiovascular Disease
University Of Washington Medical Center, 2019, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Cardiovascular Disease
American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
Awards, Achievements, and More
- Can We Further Stratify Heart Failure Patients … Looking Beyond Percent Predicted Peak VO2? Patsias I, Nakhle A, Nasr Y, Fram G, Coriasso N, Adhami A, Seudeal C, Peterson E, Brawner C, Keteyian S, Selektor Y. Poster Presentation Heart Failure Society of America 22rd Annual Scientific Meeting. Nashville, TN. September 2018
- The (Dis) Utility of a Change in Troponin I for Diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction in an Observation Unit. Patsias I, Swanson B, Hudson M, Parikh S, Nour K, Jacobsen G, McCord J. Poster Presentation at the ACC 64rd Scientific Sessions of the American College of Cardiology, San Diego, CA 2015.
- Coronary Vasospasm – Rare Cause of Bradycardia/Near Syncope: A Case Report. Patsias I, Khandelwal A, Hudson M. Poster Presentation at the 22nd Annual Henry Ford Hospital Medical Education Research Forum, Detroit, MI, 2015
- Optimal duration to restart warfarin after discontinuation of therapy in atrial fibrillation patients that developed gastrointestinal bleeding. Patsias I, Mittal C, Elbatta M, Garikapati K, Bradley P, Cheema G, Kuchipudi A, Jafri HR, Alirhayim Z, Hassan S, Khalid F, Qureshi W. Poster Presentation ACC 63rd Scientific Sessions of the American College of Cardiology, San Francisco, CA 2013 J Am Coll Cardiol. Mar 2013; 61(10):E342-E342.
- Acute Aseptic Meningitis Associated with Herpes Zoster Reactivation in an Immunocompetent Adult: Clinical Vignette Presentation.Patsias I, Paje D Poster Presentation 36th Annual Meeting Society of General Internal Medicine Denver Colorado 2013, Poster Presentation Annual Meeting Society of Hospital Medicine Maryland 2013. Poster Presentation 2nd Annual International Patient Safety Symposium Detroit 2013. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jun;28 Suppl 1:S1-489. doi: 10.1007/s11606-013-2436-y. 23625304
- Racial Disparity in Resuming Anticoagulation for Atrial Fibrillation after an Episode of Major Gastrointestinal Bleeding. Qureshi W, Garikapati K, Patsias I, Cheema G, Mittal C, Alirhayim Z, Paje D. Poster Presentation: Annual Scientific Sessions of Quality of Care and Outcomes Research American Heart Association Baltimore, MD May 15 – 17, 2013
- Resuming Anticoagulation after an Episode of GI Bleeding in patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Bradley P, Qureshi W, Mittal C, Qureshi S, Patsias I, Garikapati K, Elbatta M, Cheema G, Kuchipudi A, Khalid F. Poster Presentation Annual Meeting Society of Hospital Medicine Maryland 2013
I am also involved in clinical research to better understand and improve treatments and therapies for patients with various cardiac issues.
My current research project focuses on a risk stratification process for advanced heart failure patients using a cardiopulmonary stress test.
- Gold Humanism Honor Society at Wayne State School of Medicine: 2014