I am an advanced heart failure cardiologist at Memorial Healthcare System. I treat patients with pulmonary hypertension, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, cardiac sarcoidosis, cardiac amyloidosis, adult congenital heart disease and OB-GYN patients with high cardiovascular risk.
I also perform right heart catheterizations, endomyocardial biopsies, PA catheter sensor implantations and intra-aortic balloon pump placements, as well as perform and interpret echocardiograms and cardiopulmonary exercise testing.
I was inspired to become a doctor because it blended my desire to help people with my inclination for science and technology. I was drawn to cardiology, and specifically heart failure, and love that it requires a collaborative team approach due to the critical nature of the conditions we are treating.
I enjoy having the opportunity to make a meaningful improvement in the quality and longevity of life for patients who are very sick and otherwise may not have a chance without our help. I also love building long-term relationships with my patients and being a part of the advancement of the field.
When I meet patients for the first time, I love to hear their story and goals so we can tailor their care while also maintaining a holistic approach to their health.
Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra, 2012
Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2015, Internal Medicine
Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2017, Internal Medicine
Houston Methodist Hospital, 2020, Cardiovascular Disease
Houston Methodist Hospital, 2021, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Cardiovascular Disease
American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
Awards, Achievements, and More
PublicationsPlease view Dr. Miguel A. Castro’s publications on PubMed.
ResearchMy research interests include cardiac sarcoidosis, pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary artery sensor monitoring.
- American College of Cardiology
- ACC.19. Poster Presentation: Persistent Heart Failure in a Patient supported by Left Ventricular Assist Device caused by aortic valve paravalvular leak treated successfully with Amplatzer occluder. 2019.
- ACC.18. Poster Presentation: High Output Heart Failure Secondary to Coronary Caval Fistula and Patent Foramen Ovale. 2018.
- Grand Rounds: Cardiac Sarcoidosis: Has A Great Masquerader Been Unmasked? Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX. 2020.
- Case Presentation: Houston Methodist Heart Failure Summit. Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX. 2020.
- Cardiogenic Shock Case Presentation. 2nd annual Houston Methodist Critical Care Symposium. Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX. 2020.
- Grand Rounds: Contemporary Management of Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension. A Team Based Approach. Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX. 2019.