Our team includes world-renowned urologic oncologists who deliver the highest level of care. We catch signs of cancer that can be easy to miss, enabling you to receive timely therapies. We also successfully treat advanced cancers. Our patients consistently achieve excellent results and quickly return to their daily activities.
Diagnosing Testicular CancerIf you notice a lump on your testicle or other worrisome symptoms, you won’t have to wait long for answers. We typically see new patients within a few days.
Testicular cancer assessments start with a physical exam and a discussion of your symptoms. An ultrasound scan helps determine whether the lump is a tumor or some other issue, like a hernia or cyst. We may also do a blood test to check for elevated hormone or protein levels consistent with cancer.
Testicular Cancer Treatments and Support
There are many treatment pathways for testicular cancer, including surgery, radiation oncology and medical oncology. Surgery involves removing the affected testicle and nearby lymph nodes if there is concern it has spread. Chemotherapy uses medications to destroy cancer cells. Radiation therapy uses radiation to disrupt cancer cell growth.
We determine the best course of care for your needs and carry it out seamlessly. Even if cancer spreads to other areas, we often eliminate it. Specially trained oncology nurses (patient navigators) provide support throughout testicular cancer treatment. They help you make appointments and answer any questions you may have.
Supportive Therapies and Services for Testicular Cancer
You have access to a broad range of cancer support services that provide comfort and peace of mind. They include nutrition counseling, cancer rehabilitation and emotional support. We also offer follow-up care for hormonal or sexual health concerns that sometimes occur years after treatment.
Testicular Cancer Care: Why Choose Memorial Cancer Institute?
A fellowship-trained urologic oncologist and respected urologic cancer leader guide your care. Our specialists have made significant contributions to the field through research and training the next generation of urologic oncologists. You can count on them for safe, precise therapies that bring healing. Meet our team.
Highlights of our program include:
- Multidisciplinary approach: You benefit from the recommendations of multiple specialists. In addition to urologic oncologists, our team includes medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists and pathologists. We meet regularly to coordinate services and tailor testicular cancer treatments to your needs.
- Appropriate care: Sometimes, the best approach is less care, not more. Early-stage cancers can often safely go years without treatment. More advanced cases may require multiple therapies to remove cancer and prevent recurrence.
- Surgical excellence: We typically use robotic surgical techniques involving small incisions and advanced technologies. This method helps us remove cancer and nearby lymph nodes toward the back of the abdomen, where it often spreads. This procedure (retroperitoneal lymph node dissection) is not widely available in the region.
- Medical oncology specialists: You receive care from a medical oncologist specializing in urologic cancers. They stay current with the latest research and testicular cancer care options. Our experience from regularly treating testicular cancer helps us manage small details so that you achieve the best possible outcomes.
- Whole-person care: We think about your long-term quality of life before therapies start. If you need chemotherapy, we may recommend fertility services to preserve your ability to have children. Integrative medicine services, such as acupuncture and massage, can ease the stress and discomfort that often occurs with cancer treatment.