My personal history of childhood cancer inspired me to become an oncologist. Undergoing treatment and monitoring afterward exposed me to the difficult challenges of having cancer for both me and my family. It has provided me with a unique perspective as an oncologist.
Now, I help patients attain a positive treatment response and improve their quality of life. I enjoy getting to know patients personally and developing individualized treatment plans to achieve their health goals. I also strive to be thorough and empower my patients by educating them about their conditions, treatment options and expectations so that we can achieve an optimal outcome for both their physical and mental health.
University Of Illinois At Chicago, 2016
University of Miami - Jackson Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine Prog, 2017, Internal Medicine
University of Miami - Jackson Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine Prog, 2019, Internal Medicine
University of Miami - Jackson Hospital - Oncology and Hematology Fellowship, 2022, Oncology and Hematology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
Awards, Achievements, and More
PublicationsPlease view Dr. Brian A. Pico’s publications on PubMed.
ResearchMy research has been published and presented at local and international conferences. I am passionate about exploring innovative treatments, learning more about the various cancers, and finding ways to enhance and improve the patient experience and outcomes.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- Florida Society of Clinical Oncology
- Pico BA, Viera M, Wilkinson C, Cates C, Douglas V, Barquero G. Pre-Chemotherapy EMR Powerplan to Reduce Time to Treatment, Length of Stay, and Order Error. Poster presented at: Quality Improvement Showcase — University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. May 2022. Miami, FL, USA.
- Hematology/Medical Oncology Grand Rounds — Bladder Cancer: Management Overview and Updates. University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Jun 25, 2021.
- Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Board Review Curriculum Presentations: Bleeding Disorders (2019); Bladder/Renal/Testicular Cancer (2020); CLL (2020); Prostate Cancer (2021); CML (2021); Lung Cancer (2022). University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital.
- Internal Medicine Residency Core Curriculum — Hematologic Issues in Pregnancy. University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. 2019-2022.
- Internal Medicine Residency Morning Report. A Case of ATLL. Nov 2018.
- Pico BA, Hsu R, Gonzalez J, Merchan LA, Lopes G. A Review of Colombian National Administrative Cancer Registry (NACR) Data to Evaluate Healthcare Delivery and Biologics Use. IASLC 19th World Conference on Lung Cancer. September 2018. Toronto, Canada.
- Pico BA, Rush B, Mahmud N, Molokie R, Lavelle D, DeSimone J. The effect of RN-1 and decitabine on gamma-globin gene expression, and stem cell proliferation and differentiation. Poster presented at: 2013 University of Illinois College of Medicine (UICOM) Research Forum. November 2013. Chicago, IL, USA.
- HTRS Coagulation Disorders Workshop, 2018
- C. M. Craig Fellowship Award, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, 2013
- Honorable Mention (1 of 3), Research Poster Presentation, UIC Research Day, 2013
- Dean’s Award, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, 2012