Peritoneal surface malignancy (PSM) is a rare cancer of the peritoneum, the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity. PSM significantly affects your health and quality of life and can be difficult to treat. If you’re facing this diagnosis, you need a team of experts who offer advanced and comprehensive treatment options.
Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Treatment
Until recently, peritoneal surface malignancy was considered untreatable because traditional systemic chemotherapy is not effective. But people with this condition now have a treatment option.
Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) combines surgery and an injection of heated chemo directly into the belly. This dual approach can help you live longer and stop the cancer from returning. Many patients can go back to work and social activities after they recover.
Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program at Memorial Cancer Institute
Peritoneal Surface Malignancy: Why Choose Memorial Cancer Institute?
When you come to Memorial for PSM treatment, you’ll find:
- Trusted experts: At Memorial, you have an entire team of providers to support you. Your board-certified oncologist has advanced training in the type of primary cancer you have. They collaborate with experts who can remove cancer through specialized surgery. And your nurses work exclusively with patients who have cancer, so we understand what you’re going through and what you need.
- Patient- and family-centered model: At Memorial, we treat our patients like family. You and your family are part of the healthcare team. We partner with you to make the treatment decisions that are right for you.
- One of a few HIPEC centers in the region: Memorial Cancer Institute offers hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), a specialized, aggressive treatment for PSM. HIPEC can help you live longer and get back to activities you enjoy. We are one of the few centers in South Florida providing this treatment option.
- Treatment for the whole person: At Memorial Cancer Institute, we do more than just treat cancer. We want to help maximize your well-being. We offer integrative medicine for cancer, a holistic approach with you at the center. We focus on all aspects of your health, including physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual.
Your PSM Team
Living with gastrointestinal cancer, such as PSM, presents unique challenges. Memorial Cancer Institute builds a team around you to help you live more fully during and after treatment. Your team may include:
- Medical oncologist: This specialist treats the primary cancer. They also consult with the rest of the team about treatments such as surgery or HIPEC.
- Oncology nurses and navigators: Your nursing team will help you understand PSM and your treatment options, manage your symptoms, and prepare for treatment. They’ll help you navigate all aspects of your care.
- Surgical oncologist: Your surgeon is an expert in removing primary cancer and cancer that has spread to the peritoneal space.
- Nutritionists: Our nutritionists can help you get the nutrients you need and maintain a healthy weight.
- Pain management specialists: Living with this disease and recovering from surgery can be painful. Our experts have multiple strategies to help you stay comfortable, from medications to complementary medicine.
- Palliative care specialists: These doctors and nurses can help you make decisions about your care, plan for the future and communicate with your family and healthcare team.