Our cancer radiation therapy treatment team includes board-certified, fellowship-trained radiation oncologists whose level of training and specialization is above and beyond area standards. Our commitment to quality and safety works to ensure you receive the right dose to the right place. And, we use some of the most advanced radiation therapy technology available anywhere.
Radiation Treatment Options
Memorial Cancer Institute’s radiation oncology treatment options include:
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) – Radiation treatment guided by imaging systems, such as CT, ultrasound or stereoscopic X-rays. IGRT minimizes the effect on healthy tissue exposed to radiation during treatment while allowing the precise dose to be delivered to the tumor.
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) – IMRT uses advanced technology to manipulate beams to conform to the shape of a tumor. The goal of IMRT is to bend the radiation dose to avoid and reduce exposure of healthy tissue and limit the side effects of treatment.
- RapidArc® Radiation Therapy – A form of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) that delivers highly precise radiation treatment much faster than other technologies.
- CyberKnife® Radiosurgery – Our level of experience and expertise with CyberKnife® technology is unsurpassed in the area. The manufacturer selected Memorial Cancer Institute as a demonstration site for training others from Central and South America.
- Accelerated Partial-Breast Irradiation – A one-week breast cancer treatment alternative to the more traditional treatment method of seven weeks of external-beam radiation.
- Total Body Irradiation (TBI) – A type of radiation therapy that is delivered to the entire body. TBI uses high-energy X-rays to destroy or suppress the patient's immune system to allow donor's blood stem cells to grow.
Planning for Treatment
Our radiation oncologists use a special kind of software to help plan radiation treatment and reduce the risk of over-treating patients with radiation. This allows our radiation oncologists to:
- Visualize at-risk organs
- View the extension of the tumor
- Contour critical nerves
- Pinpoint areas that will receive greater doses of radiation
- Guide targeted therapy
- Truly combine CT, MRI and PET scans
Patient navigators offer personalized, compassionate guidance from diagnosis and treatment to survivorship.
We take care of the whole person, including appearance, self-esteem and emotional well-being.
We care for people, not a diagnosis. Our support services include acupuncture, massage and more.