PGY2 Oncology Pharmacy Residency Program: Memorial Regional Hospital/Memorial Cancer Institute
The Memorial Regional Hospital / Memorial Cancer Institute's (MRH/MCI) PGY2 Oncology Pharmacy Residency Program builds on the Doctor of Pharmacy education and PGY1 pharmacy residency experience to contribute to the development of oncology clinical pharmacists in advanced or specialized practice. The MRH/MCI PGY2 residency will provide the resident(s) with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care that improves medication therapy.
The program's aim is, upon successful completion of the PGY2 Oncology Pharmacy Residency, the resident will possess the competencies that qualify them for Hematology/ Oncology clinical pharmacist and/or faculty positions and position them to be eligible for attainment of Board Certification in Oncology Pharmacy (BCOP).
The PGY2 Oncology Pharmacy Residency Program is accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP). Our residents are integrated into the pharmacy and healthcare team and build upon their didactic and practical experiences to develop expert knowledge in clinical patient care, medication use systems, and administrative areas of pharmacy practice.
- 2 positions (NMS Code 725660)
- Provide clinical and economic outcome analyses for the pharmacologic management of cancer patients.
- Optimize the outcomes of the care of individuals with cancer by providing evidence-based, patient-centered medication therapy as an integral part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Oncology clinical operations
- Adult inpatient malignant hematology
- Adult inpatient medical oncology
- Adult Ambulatory care malignant hematology
- Adult Ambulatory care medical oncology
- Women’s health oncology
- Administration/Investigational drug service
- Pediatric hematology and oncology
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Elective options include: Specialty Pharmacy, Investigational drug service, Pain and Palliative Care, Oncology Administration, and Infectious Disease, etc.
- Oncology Pharmacy Administration
- Formulary management
- Medication safety and quality
- Medication use evaluation
- Residency research project
- Teaching and presentations
- Co-precept pharmacy students and PGY1 residents
- Continuing Education and formal presentations
- Oral Chemotherapy Pharmacy Clinic
- Oncology Clinical Operations (Staffing) - Every 3 weeks
The Oncology Pharmacy PGY2 Program Preceptors are a diverse group of dedicated oncology clinicians with experience in oncology pharmacy practice ranging from one year to 30 years. More than 70% of the PGY2 program preceptors are Board Certified in as least one area specialty area and more than half completed PGY2 training. They have all met the ASHP oncology pharmacy program preceptor eligibility criteria or are preceptors in training. In addition to the PGY2 core preceptors, the resident will work with and/or be mentored by Memorial Healthcare System's other oncology trained pharmacist in a variety of different settings.
- Estimated Stipend: $47,500
- Health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Paid leave for holidays, vacation, sick, and bereavement leave
- Discounted meals
- Free parking
- Professional travel time: ASHP Midyear, NCCN and/or HOPA Annual Meeting
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree from ACPE-accredited school of pharmacy
- Certificate of completion from PGY1 residency program prior to start
- Florida licensure obtained within 60 days
- Official college transcript
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of intent
- Three letters of recommendation (one from PGY1 preceptor/director)
- On-site interview
Frank Gentile, PharmD, BCOP
Oncology Pharmacy PGY2 Residency Program Director