Advance Directives

Advance Directives, Living Wills and Health Care Surrogates

 Having a plan is one of the best gifts you can give to those you care aboutMemorial recommends that every adult have an Advance Directive in their electronic medical record. These forms allows you to state your preferences for medical treatments and to select a health care surrogates or proxy to make your health care decisions in case you're unable to do so. 

How to Submit your documents

If you already have an advance health care directive there a multiple ways to share your documents with Memorial:

  • You can bring your documents with you when you're admitted to the hospital
  • You can bring your documents during a medical appointment
  • You can upload your documents on Memorial MyChart.
    Please Note: Advance Directives submitted through MyChart are not reviewed for legal sufficiency or validity. Advance Directives are legal documents.  To ensure your instructions in those documents are followed, it is your responsibility to present a properly executed Advance Directive that meets the legal requirements.

If you don't have a document already completed please use the Helpful Resources section to learn more.

MyChart Menu showing Advance care planning menu item

Where to upload your documents on MyChart

To add advance care planning documents to your MyChart account

  1. Log in at Memorial MyChart
  2. Under “Menu” and “My Record” Find Advance Care Planning
  3. Click on "Add document" and upload your files. Please note that documents uploaded will be labeled "In Review" until discussed with a Memorial healthcare provider.


Changes to advance health care directive

Advanced care directives can be changed by the patient at any time.
If a document should be removed or replaced, please contact the Memorial Health Information Management department at 954-276-9979.

Helpful Resources

These resources will help you make care decisions and prepare for conversations with your family, friends, and doctors.

How to designate a healthcare surrogate or proxy

A health care surrogate can make health care decisions in the event you are unable to provide informed consent for my medical treatment, surgical and/or diagnostic procedures.

You can designate a health care surrogate and an alternate surrogate by filling and submitting the Designation of Health Care Surrogate Form.

Five Wishes

Five Wishes has changed the way we talk about advance care planning by ensuring that it is not just an end of life planning tool, but the beginning of an important family conversation. Visit Five Wishes' website.

The Conversation Project

Helping people share their wishes for care through the end of life.
Visit The Conversation Project's website 

What Matters to Me – Workbook

This Workbook is designed to help people with a serious illness get ready to talk to their health care team (doctor, nurse, social worker, etc.) about what is most important to them.

Health Care Advance Directives

Consumer guides and resources by

State of Florida Advanced Care Directives and Living Will