Datasource: Set Video Source here
The Joint Commission certified Comprehensive Stroke Center at Memorial Regional Hospital has neurosurgical services available 24/7, and ability to meet the needs of multiple complex stroke patients.
The Joint Commission certified Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center at Memorial Hospital West has the ability to perform mechanical thrombectomy 24/7 for acute ischemic stroke patients and a dedicated intensive care unit (ICU).
The Joint Commission certified Primary Stroke Center at Memorial Hospital Pembroke provides the next-highest level of stroke care with an acute stroke team and access to a neurologist 24/7 and ability to provide IV thrombolytics.
Our Stroke Center Locations
- Memorial Regional Hospital (Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center)
- Memorial Hospital West (Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center)
- Memorial Hospital Pembroke (Primary Stroke Center)
How We Treat Strokes
Memorial Neuroscience Institute is committed to providing high quality care to each and every stroke patient. During a stroke, time is brain. Every minute that lapses before treatment can mean the difference between losing and saving critical brain functions.
When our team is notified by Fire-Rescue that a stroke patient is en route to one of our hospitals, we mobilize and are ready to quickly evaluate and offer time-sensitive treatments in our emergency rooms and cath labs. We recognize the significance of acute stroke care in improving quality of life.
Datasource: Dr. Mehta discusses neurointerventional surgery
Our stroke teams can:
- Administer thrombolytics (clot-dissolving drugs)
- Perform neurointerventional and neurosurgery procedures
- Offer patients a wide range of rehabilitation services
Memorial's Comprehensive Stroke program treats among the highest volume of acute stroke patients in South Florida while exceeding the national benchmarks for safety and efficiency.
Memorial Stroke Clinic
Equally important is the preventative care stroke patients receive after they leave the hospital to reduce the chance of another stroke. Memorial Neuroscience Institute Stroke Clinic ensures patients who have suffered a stroke get the necessary follow up after being discharged from the hospital.
Memorial's Stroke Clinic is staffed by board-certified neurologists who provide expertise in the evaluation and management of stroke patients.
Datasource: Karen's stroke journey
During the first visit, a patient's history, stroke work up, and medications will be reviewed to provide recommendations based on the latest evidence and guidelines. For patients that may need further evaluation for the following conditions known to cause strokes, our neurologists work closely with Memorial's neurointerventional surgeons, neurosurgeons, cardiologists, hematologists and vascular surgeons:
- Atrial fibrillation
- Blood clotting disorders
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Intracranial stenosis
- Moyamoya vasculopathy
- Patent foramen ovale
- Sickle cell disease
- Subclavian steal syndrome
- Vessel dissection
To schedule an appointment for an initial evaluation after a stroke, or for follow up care, please call 954-265-9500.
Our Awards and Accolades for Stroke Treatment
We have received several awards for improving patient care and outcomes for our stroke patients, which includes making sure that stroke patients receive a clot-dissolving drug, called tPA, shortly after arriving at our emergency room. In a 12-month period, at least 75 percent of stroke patients at Memorial Regional Hospital and Memorial Hospital West emergency rooms received tPA within 60 minutes of arriving. In addition, at least 50 percent of stroke patients received tPA within 45 minutes of arriving.
Some of our awards include:
- Gold Plus with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus, Target: Stroke Advanced Therapy Honor Roll and Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll recognition in the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines-Stroke® program (Memorial Regional Hospital and Memorial Hospital West)
- The Joint Commission and American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Comprehensive Stroke Center certification (Memorial Regional Hospital)
- Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) Comprehensive Stroke Center designation (Memorial Regional Hospital)
- The Joint Commission and American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center certification (Memorial Hospital West)
- The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Primary Stroke Center certification (Memorial Hospital Pembroke)
- Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) Primary Stroke Center designation (Memorial Hospital Pembroke)
Our Reputation for Stroke Care