Datasource: Set Video Source here
Our Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Centers at Memorial Regional Hospital and Memorial Hospital West provide year-round, 24-hour coverage to guarantee that you are seen by a dedicated stroke neurologist. Certified as a Primary Stroke Center, Memorial Hospital Pembroke provides the next-highest level of stroke care.
Our Stroke Center Locations
- Memorial Regional Hospital (Comprehensive Stroke Center)
- Memorial Hospital West (Comprehensive Stroke Center)
- Memorial Hospital Pembroke (Primary Stroke Center)
How We Treat Strokes
When you are having a stroke, every minute that lapses before treatment can mean the difference between losing and saving critical brain functions. When our team is notified by fire rescue that a stroke patient is en route to the hospital, we mobilize and are ready to quickly evaluate and offer treatment.
Datasource: Set Video Source here
Our stroke teams can:
- Administer thrombolytics (clot-dissolving drugs)
- Perform neurointerventional and neurosurgery procedures
- Offer patients a wide range of rehabilitation services
Memorial Stroke Clinic
Memorial Neuroscience Institute is committed to providing the highest quality care to each and every stroke patient. During a stroke, time is brain and every minute counts in achieving a good outcome. We recognize the significance of acute stroke care in improving quality of life after time-sensitive treatments provided in the emergency room and cath lab.
Memorial's Comprehensive Stroke program treats among the highest volume of acute stroke patients in South Florida while exceeding the national benchmarks for safety and efficiency.
Equally important is the preventative care patients receive after they leave the hospital to reduce the chance of another stroke. The Memorial Neuroscience Institute Stroke Clinic ensures patients who have suffered a stroke get the necessary follow up after being discharged from the hospital.
Memorial's Stroke Clinic is staffed by board-certified neurologists who provide unparalleled expertise in the evaluation and management of stroke patients.
Datasource: Karen's stroke journey
During the first visit, a patient's history, stroke work up, and medications will be reviewed to provide recommendations based on the latest evidence and guidelines. For patients that may need further evaluation for the following conditions known to cause strokes, our neurologists work closely with Memorial's neurointerventional surgeons, neurosurgeons, cardiologists, hematologists and vascular surgeons:
- Atrial fibrillation
- Blood clotting disorders
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Intracranial stenosis
- Moyamoya vasculopathy
- Patent foramen ovale
- Sickle cell disease
- Subclavian steal syndrome
- Vessel dissection
To schedule an appointment for an initial evaluation after a stroke, or for follow up care, please call 954-265-9500.
Our Awards and Accolades for Stroke Treatment
We have received several awards for improving patient care and outcomes for our stroke patients, which includes making sure that stroke patients receive a clot-dissolving drug, called tPA, shortly after arriving at our emergency room. In a 12-month period, at least 75 percent of stroke patients at Memorial Regional Hospital and Memorial Hospital West emergency rooms received tPA within 60 minutes of arriving. In addition, at least 50 percent of stroke patients received tPA within 45 minutes of arriving.
Some of our awards include:
- Gold Plus with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus, Target: Stroke Advanced Therapy Honor Roll and Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll recognition in the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines-Stroke® program (Memorial Regional Hospital and Memorial Hospital West)
- The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Heart-Check mark for Advanced Certification for Comprehensive Stroke Centers (Memorial Regional Hospital)
- Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center certification from The Joint Commission, in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (Memorial Hospital West)
- The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check mark for Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Centers (Memorial Hospital Pembroke)
- Comprehensive Stroke Center from the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (Memorial Regional Hospital and Memorial Hospital West)
- Primary Stroke Center from the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (Memorial Hospital Pembroke)
Our Reputation for Stroke Care