Dr. Blaya earned her medical degree from Pontificia Universidade Cathólica do Rio Grande do Sul School of Medicine in Porto Alegre, Brazil, in 1997, and completed her residency in neurology there in 2001. She completed her internship in internal medicine at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital in 2005. Dr. Blaya started a post-graduate, four-year residency in neurology at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital and completed at Tulane Hospital and Clinics/Tulane University in 2009. She was then appointed assistant professor of clinical neurology at the Tulane University School of Medicine, where she also served as the neurology clerkship director of the medical student education from 2010 to 2015. At Tulane, Dr. Blaya also worked as a consultant for The Trust, an organization that provides resources, programs and services to former NFL players.
In 2015, Dr. Blaya joined Memorial Healthcare System, at the Memorial Neuroscience Institute and Memorial Physician Group in the Division of Neurology.
Dr. Blaya’s research interests include headaches, concussions, neurological diseases among women and adolescents, and lumbar puncture procedure. She has worked as a general neurologist with a special interest in headache and concussion since 2001.
Areas of Focus
- Headaches & Concussions
Pontificia Universidade Catolica, 1997
Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2005, Internal Medicine
Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2007, Neurology
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology-Neurology
Awards, Achievements, and More
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Headache Society
- Associacao Medica do Rio Grande do Sul
- Sociedade De Epilepsia do Rio Grande do Sul
- “Pathologic Laughing and Crying due to Multifocal Small Vessel Ischemia: a case report,” Southern Society of Clinical Investigation (SSCI) Meeting, 2013
- “Fulminant Lewy Body Disease: an unusual case report,” SSCI Meeting, 2013
- “Lumbar Puncture Teaching Module Standardization: Ensuring Patient Safety through Proper Training,” American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting, 2012
- “Evaluating Changes in Student Confidence and Comfort Level After Standardized Lumbar Puncture Training,” 11th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH), 2011
- “Lumbar Puncture Standardized Teaching in the SIM Center,” IMS
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, inducted in 2014
- Tulane University School of Medicine, Owl Club Award for Best Attending in Neurology, 2011-2014