Cardiac Electrophysiology Services
Datasource: Electrophysiology Helps Irregular Heartbeat
Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute’s electrophysiology labs are some of the most active in the region. We are a high-volume heart treatment center and perform more than 700 procedures a year to treat arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation (A-fib). Our electrophysiologists (EPs) diagnose and treat many other kinds of heart rhythm problems, including those requiring a pacemaker.
What Is Electrophysiology?
Electrophysiology treats your heart’s electrical system. EPs test for heart arrhythmias of all types. Some arrhythmias (heart rhythm disturbances) are relatively minor and need only medication or monitoring. Others are more complex.
EPs perform interventional (nonsurgical) procedures such as cardiac ablation to cure arrhythmias. They also treat patients who need implantable devices to regulate their heartbeat. These devices include pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs).
- Pacemakers help people whose heartbeat is too slow.
- Defibrillators can prevent sudden death for those who have conditions such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Why Choose Memorial for Electrophysiology Treatment?
Heart rhythm conditions can be frightening. They may cause symptoms such as exhaustion that interfere with your daily activities. Our EPs treat people of all ages, offering:
- High-tech, sophisticated EP lab: We have one of the most active EP labs in South Florida. Our EPs use the latest equipment, including two different 3-D mapping systems. (3-D mapping provides a more precise image of your heart.) Advanced technology means we can perform complex procedures more safely and improve patient outcomes.
Smart Snippet: VideoCardiac ablation: Being a high-volume center for ablation means that we perform ablations on a wide range of patients with successful outcomes. For conditions such as A-fib and other tachycardia arrhythmias (where the heart beats too quickly), one ablation may effectively treat the problem.
Datasource: Set Video Source here
- Implantable device expertise: Our cardiac electrophysiology specialists are experts in managing devices that regulate heartbeat, such as pacemakers and defibrillators. They have many publications about device management, and they bring that expertise to patients every day.
- Treatment for rare conditions: Some people experience episodes of fainting (called syncope) because of problems with their heart’s electrical system. We have ways to diagnose and treat these problems.
- Coordination with other specialists: EPs work as part of a collaborative heart team, which may include other cardiologists, heart surgeons, heart imaging specialists, cardiac anesthesiologists and advance practice cardiac nurses. Together, we determine the right EP tests and treatments for people with abnormal heart rhythms.
- Ability to treat the whole family: Many arrhythmias have a genetic component. Through our partnership with the EPs at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, we can treat multiple people in one family, including small children.
Schedule an EP Test for your Heart
To schedule an appointment or learn more about the EP heart test at Memorial, call 954-276-7800.