Adult Congenital Heart Disease Treatments and Services
Datasource: ACHD Program Earns National Accreditation
If you have adult congenital heart disease (ACHD), it’s important to get care from a team that specializes in ACHD treatments and services. The Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program at Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute is the only ACHD program in South Florida accredited by the Adult Congenital Heart Association. Our specialists are skilled and experienced in the most complex adult congenital heart disease treatments.
Adult Congenital Heart Disease Treatments: Why Choose Memorial Healthcare System?
You can trust the ACHD Program at Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute for:
- Advanced treatments for all congenital heart conditions: We are experts in the most advanced surgical and nonsurgical treatments for ACHD. With our skills, experience and state-of-the-art technology, we help our patients lead healthy, fulfilling lives.
- Convenience: At our Total Heart Center, you can receive testing and treatment for many conditions under one roof. We can often coordinate testing and doctor visits in the same day.
- Expert testing for ACHD: Our team includes heart imaging specialists who are trained to read and interpret cardiac MRIs, CT scans and echocardiograms. You’ll receive accurate results quickly.
- Heart transplant expertise: Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute provides heart transplant surgery with exceptionally successful outcomes.
- Research and clinical trials: As a leading ACHD center, we offer emerging treatments through clinical trials before they are widely available to the public.
- Support: Our ACHD support group and licensed social worker can connect you with helpful community services and online resources.
- Transition to ACHD care: We guide teens and their families through the process of transitioning from pediatric to ACHD care.
Diagnostic Testing for ACHD
While many people are diagnosed with a congenital heart condition as a baby, some do not realize they have a condition until adulthood. People diagnosed with CHD as children may develop new heart conditions as they age. In both situations, getting a prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential.
At Memorial, our advanced imaging specialists are specially trained to read and interpret:
- Cardiac computed tomography (CT) scans
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) tests
- Echocardiograms, including intracardiac echocardiography (ICE) and transesophageal echocardiography (TEE)
- Intravascular ultrasounds
- Stress perfusion MRIs
Pregnancy and ACHD
Many women with ACHD can have successful pregnancies, but it’s important to get specialized care. Memorial is a regional center for cardiac-related high-risk pregnancies. Our multispecialty team works together to create a customized care plan for your pregnancy. The team includes:
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists
- ACHD doctors
- Heart failure experts
- Cardiac/OB anesthesiologists
- Nurses who specialize in cardiac-related high-risk pregnancies
Nonsurgical and Minimally Invasive Treatments for ACHD
Datasource: Marc's Harmony Valve Replacement
Some ACHD conditions can be managed through minimally invasive or nonsurgical treatments. Minimally invasive treatments for ACHD can result in less pain, a shorter hospital stay and faster recovery. Treatments include:
- Medications for controlling symptoms and improving the heart’s function
- Cardiac Ablation
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement (TPVR)
Surgery for ACHD
Our congenital heart surgeons are leaders in their field with decades of experience in:
Support for Adults With Congenital Heart Disease
Heart defects impact more than the body. Patients with ACHD and their families often need support for everyday life. Our caring team assists you with:
- ACHD support group: Our support group enables you to connect with other ACHD patients and their families who understand your journey.
- Services for international patients: Memorial Global Health coordinates specialized and emergency medical services for international patients.
- Social work services: We have a licensed social worker dedicated to supporting ACHD patients and families. Services include:
- Assisting with medication management
- Connecting you to home care services
- Navigating health insurance and disability services
- Providing referrals to mental health services
- Securing medical equipment
Online resources we recommend
Some websites we recommend for adult CHD information and support include:
- Adult Congenital Heart Association is the national organization for adults with CHD.
- Conquering CHD seeks to create visibility and empower everyone impacted by CHD.
- iheartchange.org helps teens understand how to take charge of their health.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program at Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute, call 954-265-2243.