Sports Physical Therapy
If you play sports at any level, you may need physical therapy to treat an injury or improve your game. Working with therapists who have experience treating athletes – who speak your language – can help you have successful results.
At the Memorial Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Center, our physical therapists specialize in care for active people at all levels, including professional athletes and dancers. You’ll receive knowledgeable care from therapists who know sports and dance and understand how important they are to you.
What Is Sports Physical Therapy?
Sports physical therapy is specialized treatment for active people experiencing physical difficulties caused by musculoskeletal conditions and injuries. Our highly trained sports therapists work with athletes, dancers and highly active people, providing treatment and training that focus on:
- Evaluating and treating sports injuries using tailored exercise plans
- Improving sports and dance movements and other physical functions to enhance performance
- Preventing or reducing the risk of injury
- Restoring and maintaining overall health, wellness, fitness and quality of life related to physical activity and sports participation
Why Choose Memorial for Sports Physical Therapy?
As one of the only dedicated orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine program in Broward County, Memorial offers extensive expertise and high-quality sports physical therapy. Athletes, dancers and other active people from around South Florida turn to us because we provide:
- Orthopaedic rehabilitation specialists: Many of our physical therapists have doctorate-level training and board certifications from the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). You receive care from therapists who understand the physical stresses that sports and dance performance can create – and know how to treat them.
- Specialized programs: Dancers, first responders and people returning to sports work with experienced physical therapists with training in dance medicine, sports medicine and recovery from injury and surgery. We design physical therapy programs to meet the needs of people whose careers involve physical activity at the highest levels. Learn more about our specialized physical therapy and performing arts and dance medicine programs.
- One-on-one appointments: You’ll work with your physical therapist in 45-minute private sessions for personalized attention to help you meet your goals. We offer early morning and weekend appointments for your convenience.
- Coordinated care with sports medicine doctors: Our sports physical therapy team works with sports medicine surgeons and physicians to coordinate your care. We collaborate to design your treatment plan, and we communicate your progress and adjust your plan as you progress.
- Access to fully equipped fitness centers: At our three outpatient locations, you have access to fitness centers with a full range of resistance exercise equipment. With pools at two locations, you have options for non-weight-bearing exercise through aquatic therapy. Learn more about our advanced technology and equipment.
- Nationally recognized rehabilitation services: Two of our rehabilitation programs have received accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), recognizing our commitment to the highest standards of care.
Sports Physical Therapy: Our Evaluation Process
To see us for physical therapy, you need a doctor’s prescription with your diagnosis. The prescription details the doctor’s recommendations for your therapy. At your first appointment, we evaluate you for:
- Flexibility and range of motion
- Strength and endurance
- Balance and symmetry
- Muscle recruitment during sports or dance movements
We discuss your current level of ability compared with your level before injury or surgery. We may do testing that compares your results with those of a person similar to you in age and gender who plays your same sport. This software tool helps predict your risk of injury so we can develop your exercise program.
Sports Physical Therapy: Our Treatment Options
Our sports physical therapy specialists provide comprehensive care for athletes, dancers, performing artists and anyone who wants to stay active. Any adult, 18 years and older, have access to our services at three locations across Broward County.
Our services include:
- Aquatic Physical Therapy: Our certified aquatic therapists guide you through exercises in our pools, one of which is a heated saltwater pool. Aquatic therapy provides nonimpact exercise to minimize pain and stiffness while improving strength, range of motion and balance. Learn more about aquatic therapy.
- Concussion Care: We provide several types of therapy for concussion care. Vestibular therapy helps improve balance and reduces dizziness. Speech-language therapy helps improve cognitive function.
- Hand Therapy: Our certified hand therapists evaluate and treat people with hand injuries or conditions affecting the hand as well as people who are recovering from hand surgery. Hand therapists provide therapy for the entire arm, including the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and upper and lower arm.
- Physical Therapy: We offer a wide range of services for all types of sports injuries and orthopedic conditions affecting the hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, feet, ankles, knees, hips, back and neck.
- Neurological Rehabilitation: Our therapists treat people who have had brain or spinal cord injuries, providing services to improve strength, mobility and balance. Read about neurological rehabilitation.
- Vestibular Therapy: We design exercise plans to reduce dizziness and vertigo and help people improve their balance after an injury. Learn more about vestibular therapy.
Conditions We Treat
Learn more about the conditions we treat with sports physical therapy, including:
- Common sports injuries and complications
- Heart conditions
- Foot and ankle injuries and conditions
- Hand, wrist and shoulder injuries and conditions
- Hip injuries and conditions
- Knee injuries and conditions
- Spine and back injuries and conditions
To schedule an appointment or learn more about sports medicine at Memorial, call 954-265-8326.