Explore Our Geriatric Fracture Program
Research studies have repeatedly shown that the faster geriatric patients are treated for an orthopaedic injury such as a hip fracture, the better their long-term outcomes. Prompt medical evaluation and definitive orthopaedic care will likely minimize complications from prolonged bed rest, such as the development of pneumonia and bedsores, which can delay a patient's recovery and function.
In recognition of our team's commitment to providing high quality care, Memorial Regional Hospital is the first Geriatric Fracture Care program in Florida to secure Premier Level IGFS CORE Certification by the International Geriatric Fracture Society (IGFS) – a global quality improvement initiative that recognizes the achievements of programs that exceed outcome benchmarks in the management of geriatric fractures.
Our program joins a small group of geriatric fracture care programs in the U.S. to achieve recognition for sustained outcomes that outperform the clinical, quality, and performance improvement benchmarks as identified by the IGFS, over the past two years.
What To Expect
Our Geriatric Fracture Program—one of the first of its kind in South Florida—uses an integrated approach to geriatric fracture care.
- Geriatric hip fracture patients are identified as soon as they arrive in the Emergency Department.
- Patients are fast-tracked by obtaining prompt pre-operative testing necessary prior to surgery.
- Patients are expedited through the hospital, promptly examined by one of our orthopaedic trauma specialists, and cleared for surgery within 24 hours in most cases.
- Depending on the type of hip fracture, patients are treated in a minimally invasive manner with percutaneous screws, titanium rods or hip replacement as indicated.
- Patients are seen by a physical therapist after surgery and are up and walking the next day in most cases.
- While in the hospital, patients are on the ACE (Acute Care for Elders) unit, which is an entire floor dedicated to geriatric care.
- A board-certified geriatrician oversees patients' care to maximize functional recovery and minimize postoperative complications such as delirium.
- A dedicated social worker ensures the patients has a smooth transition from the hospital to their home or a rehabilitation facility, as needed.
Comprehensive Osteoporosis Management
After surgery, patients will undergo comprehensive osteoporosis testing to assess their risk of developing future fractures. This includes conducting:
- Basic blood tests to check vitamin D and calcium levels
- Other specialized tests to detect an underlying cause for low bone density (PTH, TSH, among others)
- Bone density test (DEXA)
Once the results are received, our team will provide osteoporosis counseling treatment for patients. Follow up by either a rheumatologist or primary care physician will subsequently be provided on an outpatient basis. In addition, we offer in-home fall prevention and home safety programs to minimize the risk of a subsequent fall and fracture.
Improving Fracture Care
Memorial Regional Hospital is the only healthcare facility in South Florida recognized as an Own the Bone Star Performer a national quality improvement program designed to help patients understand their risk for fractures and the steps they can take to prevent them, and positively impact osteoporosis treatment.
Developed by the American Orthopaedic Association, we are proud to have been recognized with this distinction for the last four years (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021).
Through our affiliation with the program, we offer a fracture liaison service, which ensures that post-fracture patients are identified and receive appropriate evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.
For more information, visit ownthebone.org.
Our team's commitment to providing high quality care
International Geriatric Fracture Society (IGFS)
Own the Bone Star Performer
It matters to you. It matters to us.
Quality and Safety Data for Memorial Healthcare System
Our goal is to provide our patients with the information they need to make informed choices for themselves and their families.View Quality and Safety
You have a Right to Know About Prices
We want to give you the information you need to make important healthcare decisions, including the costs of our services.View Pricing
View test results, schedule follow-up appointments, request prescription refills and more.Login or Sign-up to MyChart