Robotic-Assisted Knee Replacement Surgery
Your knee is unique to you. Robotic-assisted knee replacement collects real-time data specific to your knee's anatomy to enhance the accuracy and precision of your knee replacement and soft tissue balancing. This can lead to increased mobility, decreased pain, minimized recovery time, and potentially improved implant longevity.
Memorial Healthcare System orthopaedic surgeons are among the first in South Florida to offer VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution to improve surgical outcomes of patients with knee replacement surgery.
What are the benefits of robotic-assisted knee replacement?
It is estimated that 15% of current knee replacement patients are not fully satisfied after surgery due to persistent pain, stiffness, or instability.
Robotic-assisted knee replacement patients typically experience less pain and a faster recovery compared to traditional knee replacement surgery because the robot allows the surgeon to precisely adjust and align where the knee will be implanted while reducing the amount of soft tissue manipulation necessary to achieve a balanced knee. This results in a more natural-feeling knee movement while also reducing the time it takes to recover.
Robotic-assisted technology may deliver:
- A greater range of motion (how well you can bend and flex your knee after surgery)
- Less pain compared to traditional methods (less opioid pain medication consumption)
- Faster recovery times (reduced length of hospital stay, hospital readmissions, and number of physical therapy visits)
How does robotic-assisted knee replacement work?
Datasource: Dr. Chan explains how Velys Robot works
Robotic-assisted knee replacement surgery uses mapping technology to generate a 3D image of the patient's knee and a dynamic assessment of ligament tension throughout a full arc of motion. This real-time data helps guide your surgeon fine-tune the alignment and position of the implants to achieve a symmetrically balanced knee. Adjustments can be made to within a fraction of a millimeter or a degree which is not possible with traditional manual alignment techniques. This robotic-assisted device does not move or operate on its own, rather, it allows the surgeon to perform a highly accurate and precise knee replacement by:
- Using an infrared camera and optical trackers to help your surgeon gather the necessary data about your anatomy to achieve a high level of precision.
- Aiding them before and during the procedure by creating 3D images of the knee anatomy to provide insights for real-time decision making.
- Helping your surgeon remove the damaged bone and cartilage with accuracy, ensuring that the planned cuts are executed exactly as planned.
Unlike other systems, the VELYS platform does not require patients to go through the expense and radiation exposure of a pre-operative CT scan.
After your knee replacement surgery, our team continues to support you during your recovery. Our specialized joint replacement physical therapists can create an individualized exercise plan to get you back to the activities you once enjoyed through our Total Joint Replacement Recovery Program.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotic knee replacement is the right choice for you by calling 954-546-8902 to schedule a consultation with an orthopedic specialists.
LocationMemorial Regional Hospital South
3600 Washington Street
Hollywood, FL 33021