Chief, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Memorial Regional Hospital
I am an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, as well as arthroscopic and open treatment of various conditions of the shoulder and knee.
I was drawn to a career in orthopedics because I love the ability to almost immediately help solve a patient’s problem and make a difference in their ability to function at a high level. Through education, preventive care and/or surgery, I can get them back to their normal routine or playing a sport they love.
I specialize in common sports injuries about the shoulder and the knee like rotator cuff and labral tears, as well as ACL and meniscal injuries. I also have a special interest in reconstruction of complex multi-ligamentous knee injuries and treatment of patella-femoral instability.
Besides arthroscopy, one of my other specialties is shoulder arthroplasty. Most of my patients who are considering a shoulder replacement are first evaluated with a pre-operative CT scan, which is then turned into a three-dimensional model of the patient’s shoulder. Having this unique ability to pre-operatively review a patient’s complex anatomy helps me to handle any nuances that could otherwise be a surprise in surgery.
Throughout my career, I have worked closely with high school, college and professional sports teams to provide guidance and care to athletes. While at the University of Miami, I worked closely with the Miami Hurricanes football team as well as the Miami Marlins. While in San Diego, California, I spent much of my time working at the Coronado Naval Base with the Seal teams helping our troops recover from their injuries and return to deployment. I was also an assistant team physician for Southwestern College Men’s Football.
Tulane University School Of Medicine, 2010
University Of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2011, Orthopedic Surgery
University Of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2015, Orthopedic Surgery
Kaiser Permanente El Cajon Med, 2016, Sports Medicine
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery-Orthopedic Surgery
Awards, Achievements, and More
My research interests mirror my clinical work, and focus on ways to improve treatment options for patients with shoulder and knee injuries or pain. I’m currently an active reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine. Some of my specific research interests are listed below.
- Scapula Dyskinesia and sports-related injuries
- Reconstruction of multi-ligamentous knee injuries
- Complex patella-femoral instability and femoral trochlea dysplasia
- Anterior and posterior shoulder instability in the setting of significant glenoid bone loss.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- Miami Orthopaedic Society
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Huntley SR, Fokin A, Summers SH, Lawrie CM, Caban-Martinez AJ, Steinlauf SD. CT Scan Assessment of Peroneal Tendon Displacement and Posteromedial Structure Entrapment in Pilon Fractures. Abstract 16-P-7396-AAOS. Accepted to AAOS Annual Meeting, March 1-5, 2016 (Orlando, FL)
- Alex Fokin, Ross Wodicka, Bryson Lesniak, Jean Jose, Clifton Page, Lee Kaplan. Review of Athletic Pubalgia and Role of Ultrasound-guided Corticosteroid Injections As A Treatment Modality. (Thematic Poster Presentation) ACSM 59th Annual Meeting and 3rd World Congress on Exercise in Medicine. May 29 – June 2, 2012. San Francisco, CA. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Vol 44 (5) S82.
- Fokin AA, Robicsek F, Masters TN, Robicsek S, Fokin A Jr, Surowiec W. Respiratory disorders in patients with Poland’s syndrome. 9th Congress of the Asian Pacific Society of Respirology; 2004 December 10-13; Hong Kong, China. Respirology 2004 Dec; 9(Suppl 3):A153.
- Fokin AA, Robicsek F, Fokin A Jr, Masters TN. Sternal nourishment in different conditions of vascularization. 51st Annual Meeting of the Southern Thoracic Surgical Association; 2004 November 4-6; Cancun, Mexico. Proceedings of the Meeting, p.130.
- 1st Place in the Florida Orthopaedic Society Resident Research Competition & Symposia, St. Petersburg, FL 2015