Gastrointestinal and Colon Cancer Care
Our colon and rectal surgeons focus on treating gastrointestinal cancers of the colon, esophagus, liver, pancreas, rectum, stomach and bile duct. We care for people with both common and complex types of gastrointestinal cancers, and our commitment to patient care means you will not face cancer alone.
After a cancer diagnosis, you may have many questions about your health and what the future holds. At Memorial Healthcare System, we provide the latest cancer treatments and comprehensive cancer support services to get you the care you need.
Gastrointestinal Cancers We Treat
We diagnose and treat a wide range of cancers that affect the gastrointestinal tract, including:
- Adrenal cancer (including pheochromocytoma)
- Appendix cancer
- Bile duct cancer
- Colon cancer
- Duodenal cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST)
- Liver cancer
- Neuroendocrine cancer (carcinoid)
- Pancreatic cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Small intestine cancer
- Stomach cancer
Gastrointestinal Cancer Services
- High-risk screening programs: Some gastrointestinal cancers, such as colon cancer and pancreatic cancer, have a genetic link. Memorial offers specialized programs designed for people at increased risk of developing certain cancers. When we detect cancer in its earliest stages, we’re one step closer to effective treatment. Learn more about colonoscopy and other GI cancer screenings.
- Comprehensive treatment options: Your cancer treatment will be unique to you. It may include a combination of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation, all of which can effectively treat gastrointestinal cancers. At Memorial, we offer a wide range of options to offer you the best chance at a positive outcome. Learn more about gastrointestinal and colon cancer treatments.
- Holistic health services: Treating cancer is just one part of what we do. Your care team also includes genetic counselors, psychologists and integrative medicine specialists who are all trained to help you optimize your well-being and quality of life.
- Support for patients and families: Cancer treatment can take a heavy toll on you and your loved ones. Our patient navigators consider it their mission to make your cancer journey easier and less stressful. They will help you schedule appointments and guide you to our vast network of support services, including nutrition guidance and massage therapy. Learn more about support services for cancer patients.
Why Choose Us for Your Gastrointestinal Cancer Care?
At Memorial, we provide skilled and speedy access to a wide range of cancer screenings, cancer diagnosis and cancer treatment services. We partner with you to design a customized treatment plan, supporting you and your loved ones every step of the way.
You benefit from our:
- Exceptional care, small community feel: Memorial is a community-based cancer care program that takes a personal and targeted approach to cancer treatment. We provide many of the same treatment options available at larger teaching hospitals but close to home. We pride ourselves on how well we know our patients and their families, and our physicians and staff are always available to answer your questions and concerns.
- Experience: Our team is committed to treating gastrointestinal cancers, and many of our physicians have decades of experience. We understand how to diagnose, treat and help patients recover from even the most complex and advanced stages of disease.
- Physician skill set: Our physicians are highly trained to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal cancer using sophisticated technology and innovative techniques, from minimally invasive biopsies to surgical robotics.
- Less invasive diagnosis and treatment options: Our interventional radiologist offer minimally invasive diagnosis and treatment, with image guided and endoscopic approaches, robotics and other minimally invasive surgical techniques for advanced cancer surgery.
- Team mindset: Our team of medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists and pathologists meet often to discuss every detail of care and give patients the best chance at beating cancer.
- Access to clinical trials: Our physicians partner with the National Cancer Institute and other highly regarded programs to stay on top of the newest ways to diagnose and treat cancer. We participate in various clinical trials, which helps us offer promising chemotherapy agents and other treatments to our patients, sometimes before they are widely available.
Affiliated Programs and Clinical Trials
We currently offer our patients access to National Cancer Institute (NCI)- sponsored clinical trials, as well as pharmaceutical and industry-sponsored research. We are affiliated with several highly regarded and established programs to bring you a wide range of groundbreaking clinical trials.
Our affiliations include:
- The Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- Mayo Clinic
- Sarah Cannon Research Institute
- UCLA Translational Oncology Research International (TORI)
Through our participation in clinical trials, Memorial Cancer Institute has contributed to the development and approval of several important cancer drugs, such as Herceptin, Tykerb, Avastin and Zometa, among others.
The Pancreaticobiliary Center at Memorial Healthcare System offers world-class treatment of pancreatic cancer and cancer of the biliary tract.
Treatment is carefully customized to each patient’s individual needs. In addition to standard therapies and research protocols, our team uses the latest diagnostic procedures, minimally invasive techniques and surgical interventions to treat patients with a number of pancreaticobiliary tract disorders and cancers. We also address a number of benign conditions including:
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Pancreatic pseudocysts
- Post-operative strictures
- Bile duct stones
To schedule an appointment or learn more about gastrointestinal cancer care at Memorial, call 954-265-4325. For more information about surgical oncology, call 954-265-9520.
Patient navigators offer personalized, compassionate guidance from diagnosis and treatment to survivorship.
We take care of the whole person, including appearance, self-esteem and emotional well-being.
We care for people, not a diagnosis. Our support services include acupuncture, massage and more.