My love for both the sciences and humanities inspired me to pursue a career in medicine. I chose to specialize in cardiology after experiencing a sudden death in the family due to cardiac disease.
Despite my sub-specialization in interventional cardiology, I take a holistic approach to care. I understand that procedures are not appropriate for everyone. My goal is always to do a thorough assessment to come to a diagnosis and go through the risks and benefits of all options in detail with patients and their families. It is very gratifying to help patients return to the level of physical activity that they enjoyed before they were limited by their cardiac condition.
In addition to patient care, I am also passionate about clinical research and the clinical education of medical trainees. I am a clinical associate professor and was the associate program director of the cardiovascular fellowship at Florida Atlantic University. I received the 2022 Florida ACC Chapter Fellow Choice Award for Teaching and have presented at multiple national and international meetings.
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, 2008
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, 2011, Internal Medicine
Beaumont Hospital, 2016
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 2014, Cardiovascular Disease
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 2015, Interventional Cardiology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Cardiovascular Disease
American Board of Internal Medicine-Interventional Cardiology
Awards, Achievements, and More
PublicationsPlease view Dr. Houman Khalili’s publications on PubMed.
I am active in multiple cardiology research focused on the treatment of structural heart disease.
Recent research projects include:
- Local Principal Investigator, ENCIRCLE, 2021
- Principal Investigator, Comparison of Figure-Of-Eight Suture and Perclose ProGlide Suture-Mediated Closure, 2021
- Co-Principal Investigator, TELESTAR, 2020-22
- Principal Investigator, Assessment of Blood Flow Patterns in Patients with Bioprosthetic Aortic Valves, 2021-ongoing
- Sub Investigator, TRILUMINATE Trial, 2019-22
- Sub Investigator, CARILLON Trial, 20190-22
- Sub Investigator, REDUCE LAP HF II, 2019-22
- National co-PI, C-SHIR Registry (COVID-19 Structural Heart), 2020-21
- Sub Investigator (Local PI), SCAMI Registry (COVID-19 STEMI), 2020-21
- Principle Investigator, Effect of LAA closure on natriuresis and LV function, 2017-19
- Image Core Lab Co-Director, XLPAD Multicenter Registry (NCT01904851), 2016-19
- Dallas VA Medical Center Co-Investigator, JET-ISR randomized trial (NCT02730234), 2016-19
- Dallas VA Medical Center Co-Investigator, CrossBoss First randomized trial (NCT02510547), 2016-2017
- Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- “Radiation and Spine Protection.” Cardiovascular Innovations. Denver, CO. 2022.
- “I Just Lost The Sidebranch…Provisional Stenting Troubleshooting.” Cardiovascular Innovations. Denver, CO. 2022.
- “LFLG, NFLG, OMG! Low and Normal Flow Low Gradient Aortic Stenosis.” FAU Cardiology Grand Rounds. Boca Raton, FL. 2021.
- “PPM - Much Ado About Nothing?” TVT. Miami, FL. 2021.
- “Cardiogenic shock - Role of Percutaneous Circulatory Support.” FAU Cardiology Grand Rounds. Boca Raton, FL. 2021.
- “Identifying Culprit Vessel in ACS.” Cardiovascular Innovations. Denver, CO. 2019.
- “Intracoronary Thrombus Management.” Cardiovascular Innovations. Denver, CO. 2018.
- “Acute Vessel Closure.” Cardiovascular Innovations. Denver, CO. 2017.
- “Role of CT in LAA closure using the Watchman device.” Cardiology Grand Rounds UT San Antonio. San Antonio, TX. 2016.
- “LAA closure – From screening to follow-up.” Michigan Cardiovascular Symposium. 2016.