I am a pediatric and congenital interventional cardiologist at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I treat patients with all types of congenital heart disease, from relatively simple conditions like atrial septal defect (ASD) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) to complex conditions like hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) and transposition of the great arteries (TGA). I also perform interventions such as transcatheter valve replacement and am part of a team that cares for adults with congenital heart disease.
I have always been fascinated by science and technology and was drawn to a career in medicine by the social aspects of patient care. During my training, I found I thrived when working with children and their families. While I enjoy working with patients of all ages, there is a special place in my heart for babies and toddlers with congenital heart disease.
I love that cardiology is constantly evolving, with new techniques and tools being introduced all the time. This means that we constantly integrate new information, improvements and treatments to help our patients feel their best. My work takes me from simple clinic visits to emergency interventions for critically ill patients, and everything in between.
I do my best to help patients and families understand their diagnosis and the various treatment options available to them. Then we partner in decision-making to find the best plan forward for their child.
In addition to my work as a physician, I am also an accomplished pianist and an aspiring author, painter and photographer.
University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine, 2014
University Of California San Diego, 2015, Pediatrics
University Of California San Diego, 2017, Pediatrics
University Of California San Diego, 2020, Pediatric Cardiology
University Of California San Diego, 2021, Interventional Cardiology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatric Cardiology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
Awards, Achievements, and More
Clinical research has been a big part of my training and career as we work to explore new treatments, improvements and options for those living with congenital heart disease. I have a particular interest in novel device design.
- Society for Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions
- American College of Cardiology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Association
- Howaida El-Said, Kanishka Ratnayaka, Stephen Nageotte, John W Moore, Peter Guyon, Krishna Bhandari, Rachel Weber, Jesse W Lee, Hyeri You, Danica Griffin, Rohit P Rao, John J Nigro. “Patent Ductus Arteriosus Stenting for All Ductal Dependent Cyanotic Infants: Waning Use of Blalock-Taussig Shunts.” PICS-AICS Symposium. San Diego 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Arpine Davtyan, Peter Guyon, Hannah El-Sabrout, Reid Ponder, John Bradley, Caitlin Heyden, Linda Drake, Kanishka Ratnayaka, John Moore, Asimina Courelli, Bryan Mosher, Holly Bauser-Heaton, Daniel Levy, Jamil Aboulhosn, Henri Justino, Howaida El-Said. “Melody Endocarditis Does Not Equal Valve Removal: Variations in Practice in a Multi-Center Experience.” PICS-AICS Symposium. San Diego 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Peter W. Guyon Jr. “Perineal Rhabdomyosorcoma in an Adolescent Female.” Senior Resident Clinical Pathologic Correlate (CPC) Presentation. San Diego, California. March 2017.
- Peter W. Guyon Jr. “Margaret Cavendish and George W. Bush: Creating Worlds Through Language.” BYU Symposium Humanitatum. Provo, Utah. March 2007.
- Peter W. Guyon Jr, Caitlin M. Heyden, Robert J. Lederman, Howaida G. El-Said, John W. Moore, Kanishka Ratnayaka. “Non-surgical, Transcatheter Vessel Anastomosis in Congenital Heart Disease.” PICS-AICS Symposium. San Diego 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Asimina Courelli, Arpine Davtyan, Bryan Mosher, Peter Guyon, Kanishka Ratnayaka, Howaida El-Said. “Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Implantation in Growing Children: Need for Reintervention and Effect on Valve Longevity.” PICS-AICS Symposium. San Diego 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Hannah El-Sabrout, Reid Ponder, Arpine Daytyan, Peter Guyon, Ryan Reeves, Kanishka Ratnayaka, John Moore, Jamil Aboulhosn, Daniel Levi, Howaida El-Said. “Endocarditis: Lower Incidence in Native RVOT Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve.” PICS-AICS Symposium. San Diego 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Zayed, WM; Bhandari, K; Guyon, PW; El-Sabrout, H; Ryan, J; Ratnayaka, K; El-Sabrout, A; Moore, JW; El-Said, H. “Bronchus Compression Relieved by Patent Ductus Arteriosus Stenting.” Society for Catheterization Angiography & Intervention National Meeting. Atlanta, May 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Guyon, PW; Nijres, B; Justino, H; Reeves, R; Ratnayaka, K; Moore, J; El-Said, H. “Simultaneous Deployment of Landing Stents Over a Melody Valve.” Poster Abstract. Society for Catheterization Angiography & Intervention National Meeting. Atlanta, May 2020 (Virtual Meeting).
- Guyon, P; Mosher, B; Ratnayaka, K; Moore, J; El-Said, H. “Reaching Beyond Manufacturer Recommended Expansion Diameter: Serial Stent Dilation for Somatic Growth in Children.” Poster Presentation. Rady Children’s Hospital 2019 Pediatric Research Symposium. San Diego, May 2019.
- Jennifer K Chen, Thomas Carberry, Christiane Lenzen, Peter Guyon, Sun Cho, Aarti Patel. “Refusal to Walk: Getting to the Heart of the Matter.” Poster Presentation. 2018 AAP National Conference and Exhibition. Orlando, Florida. November 2018.
- Guyon, PW; Hollenbach, K; Ferren, K; Nguyen, MB. “Trends in Injuries Related to Cellphone Use in Children and Teens.” Poster Presentation. 2015 Ed Quigley Clinical Research Symposium. San Diego, November 2015.
- J.T. Hopkins, D. Fredericks, P.W. Guyon, S. Parker, M. Gage, J.B. Feland, I. Hunter. “Whole-Body Vibration Does Not Affect Quadriceps Muscle Spindle Sensitivity.” 55th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Indianapolis, May 2008.
- Matthew D Hall, Jennifer L Hellawell, Amanda D Jones, Peter W Guyon Jr, Joseph A Ludwig, Henry M Fales, Gergeley Szakacs, Michael M Gottesman. “Resistance Is Useless: the Mechanism of Action and Development of the Anticancer Compound NSC73306.” National Cancer Institute Molecular Targets Faculty Retreat. Bethesda, Maryland. August 2006.