Marvin Smith, MD
As a Sports Medicine fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon, I care for patients with conditions involving the knees, shoulders, hips, ankles and elbows. Whether working with elite/professional or recreational athletes, the opportunity to facilitate a patient's return to their previous level of activity is tremendously rewarding. The current advances in joint preservation forecast a promising future for active patients and I will continue to contribute to such efforts of innovation.
As a South Florida native, I have a genuine passion for the patient population we serve. My time at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and membership in the Iron Arrow Honor Society have afforded me the opportunity to cultivate meaningful relationships within our local communities. Moreover, my background and prior experiences have prepared me to address an array of patient needs.
Over the years, I have gained experience in common arthroscopic procedures including ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair, rotator cuff repair, shoulder instability (open and arthroscopic techniques), shoulder arthroplasty, and various upper and lower extremity ligament repair/reconstruction. Through advanced training I have developed a special interest in more complex surgical solutions including, but not limited to, multiligamentous knee reconstruction, innovative patellofemoral instability correction, meniscus transplantation, cutting-edge cartilage restoration and joint preservation, and hip arthroscopy. Additionally, I have observed favorable patient outcomes with the use of biologics and ultrasound guided therapeutics and have thus incorporated them into my practice.
As a former NCAA Division-1 student athlete, I am able to relate to my patients in a unique way. Through personal experience I gained a great appreciation for Sports Medicine Orthopedics and ultimately developed a passion for helping athletes pursue their goals and live out their dreams. I find it critical to take the time to understand each patient's unique situation as well as their goals while remaining sensitive to the recovery timelines they often face.
In addition to caring for individual patients, I have previously helped provide care for athletes across various sports at the University of Miami and University of Virginia, as well as the Miami Marlins Major League Baseball team. Currently, I am privileged to serve as Team Physician and official sports medicine provider for Florida Memorial University and ASA College.
Related Medical Services
- University Of Miami School Of Medicine, 2012
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2013, Orthopedic Surgery
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2017, Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, 2018, Sports Medicine
- Iron Arrow Honor Society: The “Highest Honor Attained at the University of Miami” based on Leadership, Scholarship, Love of Alma Mater, Character and Humility, 2010
- National Medical Association: Timothy Stephens Orthopaedic Research Symposium award winning podium presentations, 2011 and 2015
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society
- Iron Arrow Honor Society
- National Medical Association
- Smith, MK; Bodkin, SG; Casp, A; Tran, SK; Gwathmey, FW; Carson, EW; Werner, BC; Miller, MD; Diduch, DR; Brockmeier, SF; Hart, JM. Functional Outcomes 6 months after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: The impact of Meniscus Treatment.
- Cancienne, J.; Smith, M.; Werner, B. The Timing of Corticosteroid Injections following Simple Knee Arthroscopy Influence Infection Risk.
- Noona, S.; Smith, M.; Diduch, D. Medial Meniscal Root Tear in the Setting of Multifactorial Patellofemoral Instability.
- Smith, M.; Emory, C.; Tresley, J.; Moo Young, Justin, Pitcher, J. Modified Transclavicular Approach for Resection of Chondroblastoma of the First Rib.
- First place podium presentation. National Medical Association: Timothy Stephens Orthopaedic Research Symposium, 2015.