Resources for Patients and Families
When you find out that you or someone you love needs a kidney transplant, you need accurate, trustworthy information. At Memorial Transplant Institute, we make it easy for our adult and pediatric patients and their families to get the resources and education they need during this challenging time.
Kidney Transplant Education
The following kidney transplant education videos (English and Spanish) are designed to educate you about the evaluation process and the steps to take to get through it.
Datasource: How the kidney transplant process works
Video en Español
Datasource: Spanish kidney transplant education
Kidney Transplant Resources
We provide a range of resources to support adult and pediatric kidney transplant recipients and their families during the transplantation process.
- Ongoing transplantation education: From your first visit through post-surgery follow-up care, we’ll educate you about the transplant process every step of the way. In addition to sharing information in-person, we’ll give you a printed booklet to take home.
- Transplantation support group: Our monthly organ transplantation support group is a place for patients and their families to share questions and concerns and get firsthand feedback from people who have been through a similar experience.
- Social services: Memorial’s knowledgeable transplant social workers help families gather information and resources as they navigate transplant-related issues. To speak with one of our compassionate transplant social workers, call 954-265-7450.
- Interpreter services: We provide a range of interpreter services for patients and families who do not speak English or are more comfortable speaking in another language. Your transplant coordinator can help you coordinate interpreter services.
Learn more about our customized kidney transplant care.
Living Kidney Donor Resources
Our dedicated transplant team helps match patients with suitable living donors, supporting everyone involved in the kidney donation process. We help patients and donors:
- Understand the kidney donation process
- Talk about kidney donation with friends and loved ones
- Find financial resources to defray living donor-related travel costs
- Answer questions related to health insurance coverage
Pediatric Kidney Transplant Resources
In addition to the support services we provide to adult patients, we offer custom support services for children in need of a kidney transplant and their families. Learn more about our family-centered pediatric kidney transplant care offered in collaboration with Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital.
Children and families benefit from our:
- Child life specialists: Child life specialists use play, pets and music to connect with children and help minimize the psychological impact of a serious medical condition or hospital stay.
- Emotional support: Our pediatric social workers help children and families handle emotional challenges and other issues related to undergoing a kidney transplant.
- Tutoring: A teacher from Broward County Public Schools is available to help children work around extended school absences.
- Child-friendly environment: Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital is designed with the needs of children in mind. Our interactive play area has toys and other activities to help keep young patients entertained. There’s also an outdoor playground, and if children get hungry, we offer a healthy, kid-friendly menu.
Learn More About Pediatric Kidney Transplant
If you believe your child may benefit from a kidney transplant, we want to hear from you. You can learn more about our personalized pediatric kidney transplant care by calling us anytime at 954-265-7450.
Learn More About Adult Kidney Transplant
We are always just a phone call away. You can learn more about our customized adult kidney transplant care by calling us anytime at 954-265-7450.