Our Sports Medicine Team
Whether you play tennis on the weekends or pitch in the major leagues, being active is your passion. At Memorial Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Center, we understand the important role that sports plays in your life.
Our physicians, surgeons, physical therapists and other specialists – many of whom are athletes themselves – provide specialized care in the first dedicated sports medicine program in Broward and Palm Beach counties. Our goal for athletes, dancers, performing artists and active people of all ages and skill levels is to keep you safe while you participate in the activities you love.
Sports Medicine Team: Your Doctors and Surgeons
At Memorial Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Center, our team brings together providers from multiple specialties to diagnose and treat sports injuries and chronic orthopaedic conditions. Our collaboration means that you receive comprehensive care to help you stay safe as you achieve your performance goals.
All of our physicians and care team members provide:
- Evaluation of your symptoms, medical history and any history of injuries or athletic participation, so we can understand what you’re experiencing.
- Diagnosis of injuries and conditions based on evaluation and testing, including imaging studies.
- Treatment tailored to your needs.
Our team includes:
Orthopaedic surgeons care for people who have injuries or conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system of bones, joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Their work includes:
- Treatment with medications, casting, surgery and recommendations for physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Counseling to help prevent injuries and slow any damage caused by chronic conditions.
Our orthopaedic surgeons hold board certifications in orthopaedic surgery. They also have advanced training in orthopaedic surgery, orthopaedic trauma surgery and sports medicine.
Primary Care Sports Medicine Physician
Primary care sports medicine physicians have training and experience in sports medicine and primary care. They care for sports- or activity-related musculoskeletal injuries and conditions, providing:
- Nonsurgical treatment including medications, injections and recommendations for physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Primary and family care for overall health and wellness, including injury prevention and management of chronic conditions.
Our primary care sports medicine physician has board certifications in sports medicine and family medicine and fellowship training in sports medicine.
Sports cardiologists provide care for athletes and active people who have cardiovascular conditions (affecting the heart and blood vessels). With a background and training in sports medicine, they provide:
- Nonsurgical treatment to manage all types of heart conditions and symptoms.
- Coordination of your care with interventional cardiologists for vascular conditions and electrophysiologists for conditions that affect the heart’s structure or electrical system.
Our cardiologist has board certifications in cardiovascular disease and internal medicine and fellowship training in cardiovascular disease.
Your Extended Care Team for Sports Medicine
Your extended care team consists of physical therapists and nutritionists who have advanced training in their fields. They work closely with your doctors and surgeons to provide you with comprehensive care to help you stay safe and active.
Sports Physical Therapists
Sports physical therapists provide physical rehabilitation for active people who have musculoskeletal conditions and injuries. They offer:
- Exercise programs to heal sports injuries and improve sports movements, dance movements and other physical functions.
- Training and education to prevent or reduce the risk of injury.
All of our sports therapists are licensed in physical or occupational therapy, and many have doctorate-level training and board certifications in orthopedics, dance medicine and sports medicine.
Sports psychologists provide psychological counseling services to athletes of all levels and disciplines to help improve their athletic performance. Some of the areas in which our doctors support patients include:
- Developing mental strategies to overcome setbacks
- Learning coping skills to manage pressure and anxiety
- Building self-esteem and confidence after an injury
- Substance abuse
Sports nutritionists are trained to work with athletes to prepare balanced meals that will help them achieve optimum performance and meet their fitness goals. They help patients design personalized diets for training and competition to enable them to maintain the right levels of fat and muscle composition that fit their needs. They offer one-one-one nutrition counseling on:
- Eating for optimal muscle recovery
- Optimizing macronutrients and micronutrients intake for your body type
- Strategizing what to eat for endurance training and competition
- How to properly gain lean mass and lose excess body fat
To schedule an appointment or learn more about sports medicine at Memorial, call 954-265-8326.