I am a hematologist/oncologist at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I treat children with a variety of conditions including leukemia, solid tumors, sarcomas, benign hematologic disorders, benign tumors and coagulation defects.
I learned very early on in my medical training that I wanted to work caring for children. I am inspired by the way children face complex health conditions with grace, optimism and fierce resilience.
In addition to patient care, I also led Joe DiMaggio’s efforts to obtain accreditation as a Pediatric Cancer Program recognized by the Commission on Cancer, a program of the American College of Surgeons that recognizes cancer programs for their commitment to provide comprehensive, high-quality and multidisciplinary patient-centered care. I continue to serve as chairwoman in this position as we continue to expand and improve our services for patients.
Texas Tech University Health Science Center, 2006, Pediatrics
University Of Alabama Medical Center, 2009, Pediatric Oncology and Hematology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatric Oncology and Hematology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
Awards, Achievements, and More
- “Identification of Leukemia Stem cells associated with AML1-ETO through characterization of oncogene-induced changes in cell surface profiles in hematopoitic stem cells,” abstract, ASH meeting, 2008
ResearchAt Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, I am involved in the Children’s Oncology Group and we are able to give our patients the option to participate in clinical trials. This offers them a wider range of treatment options that may not yet be available elsewhere, all while receiving treatment close to their home.
I am also interested in researching treatment options and therapies for various types of leukemia, sarcomas and hematologic disorders.
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society of Hematology
- Outstanding First-year Pediatric Resident, TTUHSC, 2003-2004
- Chief Resident Pediatrics, TTUHSC, 2005-2006
- Chairman Award, TTUHSC, 2006
- Magic Moment Fellow, 2006-2007