Luis Raez, MD
Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
Medical Director and Chief Scientific Officer, Memorial Cancer Institute
I am a hematologist/oncologist at Memorial Cancer Institute, part of Memorial Healthcare System, where I specialize in treating patients with lung and head and neck cancers. I also lead the Thoracic Oncology Program in my role as Director.
I was inspired to pursue a career in medicine by my father, who was also a physician. I grew up watching him making an impact on his patients’ lives and wanted to follow in his footsteps. While cancer care can be very challenging, it is also rewarding to help someone through a difficult time and make a positive impact on their life.
I am board certified in internal medicine and medical oncology and am board eligible in hematology, and have been caring for patients with cancer for more than 20 years.
A critical component of my work at Memorial is cancer research. I design phase I-III clinical trials with new chemotherapeutic agents and combinations, as well as perform translational research in the areas of cancer vaccines. My research has been funded by the National Cancer Institute and the pharmaceutical industry.
I also teach the next generation of oncologists. I am a clinical professor of medicine at Florida International University (FIU), research professor at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) and visiting professor of medicine at Cayetano Heredia University (UPCH) in Peru.
I am active in many medical organizations and give oral presentations and lectures during national and international meetings in the US, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. Currently, I am president of the Florida Society of Clinical Oncology (FLASCO), the international chair of the IASLC-Latin American Meeting (LALCA) since 2014; chairman for the Miami Best of ASCO since 2014, chair and founder of the Miami Cancer Meeting (MCM) since 2002, and co-chairman of the Puerto Rico Fall Cancer Symposia (FCS) since 2010.Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Raez
- Facultad De Medicina De La Univ Peruana Cayetano, 1992
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1994, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1996, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1999, Oncology and Hematology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- Medical Science Monitor
- Clinical Lung Cancer
- British Journal of Cancer
- Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy
- The Oncologist
- Expert Anticancer Review
- Bio Med Central
- World Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy
- Clinical Medicine Insights: Therapeutics
- “Educator of the Year Award” given by Global Resource to Advance Cancer Education (GRACE) Organization, May 2021.
- “Florida Cancer Center of Excellence” designation from Florida Governor to Memorial Cancer Institute/FAU in February 2021.
- 2020 “Caris Precision Oncology Alliance Award” for 5 year of collaboration with the POA network.
- 2020 “Pinnacle of Excellence Award” given by Press Ganey for excellence in patient experience at MCI for 3 consecutive years.
- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020 “Guardian of Excellence Award” given by Press Ganey for excellence in patient experience at MCI.
- 2019 IASLC 9th Latin American Meeting (LALCA) Award for Leadership and Organization of the LALCA group. October 2019.
- Listed in “The Best Doctors in America” 2019 Edition.
- The International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) choose the lung cancer program at Memorial Cancer Institute as the “2019 North American Winner Best Lung Cancer Care Team Award” given in Barcelona-Spain September 7th 2019.
- Honored for lung cancer career and achievements at the “2019 LUNG FORCE Sunset Soiree/ Turquoise Takeover” in Fort Lauderdale
- “Award from the Community Foundation of Broward” for the project “Using Liquid Biopsies to Monitor Lung Cancer Treatment Results”
- “Award to improve Lung Cancer Registry” given by Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation 2019.
- “Guest of Honor” given by the City of Cordoba, Argentina, August 2018.
- “Illustrious Visitor” given by the Catholic University of Cordoba, Argentina, August 2018.
- “Distinguished Visitor” given by the National University of Cordoba, Argentina, August 2018.
- “Top Doctor in The Leading Physicians of the World” 2018.
- “Award for distinguished service as Chair of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) Membership Committee 2013-2017”
- “Exemplary Teaching during the Internal Medicine Clerkship” Given by Florida International University (FIU) 2017-2018
- “Best Doctor & Leader in Medicine” given by American Health Council 2017.
- “Memorial Angel Award” given by the Memorial Foundation 2012, 2016 and 2021 for exemplary care provided to the patients.
- “2015 Latin Pride Award” Given by “Salud al Dia Magazine”. Miami, Florida August 2015.
- International Association for Study Lung Cancer (IASLC)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Oncology Latin American Association (OLA)
- Latin-American and Caribbean Society of Medical Oncology (SLACOM)
- Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education (GRACE)
- Translational Oncology Research International (TORI- Univ of California (UCLA))
- Sociedad Peruana de Oncologia Medica (SPOM)
- The Peruvian Medical Association
- Annual “Puerto Rico Fall Cancer Symposium” (FCS)
- NCI-Alliance for Clinical Trials (ALLIANCE)
- Florida Society of Clinical Oncology (FLASCO)
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute (ALCMI) & Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation (ALCF)
- GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer
- Florida Medical Association (FMA)
- Moffitt Cancer Center and Memorial Health Care System Joint Clinical Operating Committee Meeting
- Officially Licensed Annual “Miami Best of ASCO”
- Annual Miami Cancer Meeting (MCM)
Throughout my entire career, I have been involved in a variety of research from clinical trials, cooperative group and pharmaceutical trials, and funded trials to explore cancer progression, treatment, and outcomes.
Recent funded research projects include:
- Clinical Outcomes of Exon 20 EGFR Mutations in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients PI: Ashley Dabalsa/Luis Raez. 2020-2021.
- Serine Threonine Kinase (STK) 11 Mutations and Resistance to Immunotherapy: A Retrospective Chart Analysis. PI: Richie Onwuchekwa/Luis Raez. 2019-2020.
- Evaluation of Outcomes in Patients Treated with Bevacizumab for Brain Necrosis. PI: Ana Botero/Luis Raez. 2019-2020.
- Immune- related adverse events with immune checkpoint inhibitors: focus on minority patients with non-small cell lung cancer. PI:Imani Pelt/Luis Raez. 2017-2019.
- Using Liquid Biopsies to Monitor Lung Cancer Treatment Results. Award from the Community Foundation of Broward. Principal Investigator. 2019-2020.
- Improving Lung Cancer Registry as Center of Excellence. Award given by Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation 2019.
- Lung Cancer Immunotherapy outcomes in Hispanics and Minorities. Principal Investigator. Memorial Health Care System/University of Miami and Lee Moffit Cancer Center. 2017-2019
- Clinical Outcomes in Lung Cancer Patients with Liquid Biopsies. Principal Investigator. Memorial Health Care System and Guardant Health. 2016-2018.
- cfDNA and cfRNA correlation with cancer therapy in blood of patients with lung, breast and colon cancers. Principal Investigator. Memorial Health Care System and Liquid Genomics. 2015-2020
- Lung Cancer Chromosomal Aberrations and Gene Expression Profiles of Hispanics Living in the US or Latin America are Similar. PIs: Jennifer Mourafetis/Luis Raez. 2015-16.
- Disparities in Survival and Treatment outcomes in Patients with Breast Cancer treated in Broward County 2002-2012. PIs: Alejandra Perez/Luis Raez. 2013-2014
- Disparities in Outcomes of Minority Lung Cancer Patients in South Florida. Principal Investigator. Memorial Health Care System. The 1000plus foundation. 2012- 2013.
- National BALCF Lung Cancer Centers Summit. “Lung Cancer Centers of Excellence” and “NGS and Liquid Biopises for Lung Cancer”. Nashville December 7, 2018.
- New Orleans Summer Oncology Meeting 2018. July 21-22, 2018. “Immunotherapy in NSCLC”
- Lung Cancer Summit. “Non-EGFR targeted therapeutics: ALK, ROS1, BRAF. Phoenix Arizona February 17, 2018.
- American Society of Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Annual Meetings. “Immunotherapy and Targeted Therapy for lung Cancer”. September 23, 2017.
- New Orleans Summer Oncology Meeting 2017. July 22-23, 2017. “Immunotherapy in lung cancer and Resistance”
- 5th Annual Miami Lung Cancer Conference. April 8, 2017. “Immunotherapy and Targeted Therapy”.
- New Orleans Summer Oncology Meeting 2016. July 17-19, 2016. “Immunotherapy in lung cancer.”
- 4th Annual Miami Lung Cancer Conference. April 8, 2016. “EGFR resistance and Targeted Therapy”.
- Guardian Research Network (GRN) – Gibbs Cancer Center Grand Rounds. “2015 ASCO Update in Lung Cancer”. June 19, 2015.
- New Orleans Summer Oncology Meeting 2015. July 17-19, 2015. “Immunotherapy in lung cancer: Challenges and Complications.”