Chief, Breast Surgical Oncology, Memorial Cancer Institute
I am a breast surgical oncologist at Memorial Healthcare System where I serve as the chief of Breast Surgical Oncology at Memorial Cancer Institute.
I grew up in the Appalachian mountains of Virginia, where both of my parents worked as pharmacists. Watching my parents make a difference in patients’ lives motivated me to pursue a career in medicine. During my surgical education, I loved working with breast cancer patients. Twenty years later, I am just as passionate about the field as I was during training.
A breast cancer diagnosis can affect many areas of a woman’s life, and it also impacts her family and loved ones. I believe in being very straightforward and honest with my patients and empowering them through education about their disease and treatment options.
I am humbled by the confidence that patients entrust in me and inspired by their resilience and ability to find beauty through adversity. It truly is a privilege to take part in their breast cancer journeys.
Throughout my career, I have published and presented on various topics regarding breast cancer and treatment, and I have been involved in various local and national medical organizations. Prior to joining Memorial in 2015, I served as director of the Comprehensive Breast Care Center at the Markey Cancer Center/University of Kentucky.
Related Medical Services
University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine, 2004, Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Hospital, 2005, Surgical Oncology
American Board of Surgery-Surgery
Awards, Achievements, and More
- “Breast Cancer Services Project,” Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, 2010, 2009
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- Kentucky Medical Association
- “Breast Cancer: The Before and After,” Advance Practice Nursing/Regional Conference, 2013
- Rally for a Cure Golf Outing, Frankfort Country Club, Lexington, Kentucky, 2011
- Physician Advisory Group: Comprehensive Breast Care Center Improvements, 2011
- “Breast Cancer Basics,” Women It’s All About You Conference, University of Kentucky, 2011
- “Benign and Malignant Breast Disease: What You Need to Know,” 23rd Regional Conference Toward Excellence in Advance Practice Nursing/Regional Conference, 2011
- “Breast Cancer Update,” Kentucky Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives, Northern Kentucky Convention Center, 2011
- “Ladies’ Night Out,” Rockcastle Regional Hospital, 2010
- “A Practical Guide to Breast Cancer,” Grand Rounds, OB-GYN Department, University of Kentucky, 2010
- “A Practical Guide to Breast Cancer,” CME, ARH Hazard, 2010
- Invited Plastic Surgery Lecture, University of Kentucky, 2010
- “Breast Cancer and Pregnancy,” UK Surgery Grand Rounds, 2009
- “Breast Cancer and Treatment,” Plastic Surgery Conference, 2009
- “A Practical Guide to Breast Cancer,” CME, Baptist Regional Hospital, 2009
- “The Diagnosis and Pathophysiology of Breast Cancer,” 2009
- Recognition of Excellence in Student and Resident Teaching, 2014, 2012
- Ward O’Griffin Surgery Teaching Award for Excellence in Medical Student Education, 2006
- Who’s Who in Higher Education