Chief, Adult Cardiac Surgical Services, Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
I am a cardiothoracic surgeon, and chief of Adult Cardiac Surgical Services at Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute. I am also involved in research studies in cardiothoracic surgery.
I knew I wanted to pursue a career in medicine from very young age. I wanted to be involved in helping people and thought it was one way of doing it. I was attracted to the cardiovascular field because of how dynamic it is. It is constantly evolving as we develop new tools and discover new ways of treating and fixing fragile and complex areas of the heart.
At Memorial, we have cutting-edge technology, everyone has expertise in the area of medicine they practice, and patient-and-family centered care is he cornerstone to our approach to care. It is a hallmark of everything we do and something we have become well-known for. When caring for patients, I always treat them how I would want my family members to be treated.
Our family and patient-center approach allows us to bring family members as part of rounding teams, educate family members on how to take care of their loved ones, and it also allows us to bring patients into the equation as well. It makes everyone more involved in deciding the next steps in their care and makes it easier for everyone to embrace what we are doing for them.
Prior to joining Memorial, I was an assistant professor in the cardiothoracic surgery division at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
Umdnj-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 1996
Washington Hospital Center, 2004, Surgery
American Board of Thoracic Surgery-Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
Awards, Achievements, and More
- Co-investigator, “A Comparative Clinical and Pharmacoeconomic Study Comparing Argatroban IV vs. Desirudin SC for Patients with Suspected Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia without Clinically Evident Thrombosis,” Canyon Pharmaceuticals, 2009
- Principal Investigator, “Impella Training in Swine Model,” Abiomed, 2009
- Co-investigator, “The Effect of Acadesine on Clinically Significant Adverse Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Events in High-Risk Subjects Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Using Cardiopulmonary Bypass,” Schering Plough, 2009
- Co-investigator, “Interagency Registry for Mechanically Assisted Circulatory Support,” The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, 2009
- Co-investigator, “Double-blind, Randomized Study of High-Dose Vitamin C on Outcomes in Cardiac Surgery,” 2008
- Co-investigator, “Thromboembolic-Related Complications – Randomized Trial of Previous and Current Generation Mechanical Prostheses,” Ox-X Life Technologies, Inc., 2008
Professional OrganizationsProfessional organizations
- New York Society for Thoracic Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery Residency Association
- American College of Surgeons
- “Cardiovascular Disease,” Community Outreach Program “Tu Perteneces,” 2008
- “Aortic Valve Replacement After Previous Median Sternotomy: Is a Less-Invasive Approach Still Appropriate?”, Annual Meeting of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston, 2008
- “Acute Type A Aortic Dissection: A Review of Operative Results from 2002-2007,” Aortic Symposium, 2008
- “First U.S. Experience with Percutaneous Surgical VAD,” Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 44th Annual Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, 2008
- Ernest Alva Gould Award, Senior House Officer Award for Excellence, Department of Surgery, Washington Hospital Center
- Internal Medicine Clerkship, Psychiatry Clerkship
- Valedictorian Award, American High School, Asuncion, Paraguay