Associate Program Director, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency Program
I am a physiatrist and spinal cord injury specialist at Memorial Healthcare System. In addition to caring for patients with spinal cord injuries, I also provide rehabilitation care for patients after stroke, orthopedic surgeries, cancer, musculoskeletal injuries, neurologic disorders, amputations and those in need of rehabilitation after prolonged illness.
I always wanted to work in a field where I could work with people, for people, to help improve their quality of life. I enjoy the process of working on an interdisciplinary team at Memorial with other specialists – including physical and occupational therapists, social workers, case managers and nurses – to help our patients feel better and reach their goals.
I specialize in the care of people with spinal cord injuries. This means that in addition to addressing the challenges of reduced motor function that a patient with this injury may face, I am also experienced in spasticity management, bowel and bladder dysfunction, respiratory management (including ventilator management), sexuality and fertility education, wound care and long term primary care of individuals with spinal cord injury. This leads to a more comprehensive care and improved outcomes.
The most rewarding part of my job is seeing what my patients accomplish after I have helped care for them. I enjoy helping people heal physically and emotionally after an injury or illness, and helping them to improve their function so they can reintegrate into community and live their life to the fullest.
University Of Puerto Rico School Of Medicine, 2013
VA Caribbean Healthcare System, 2014
VA Caribbean Healthcare System, 2017
University Of Texas Medical School At Houston, 2018, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Awards, Achievements, and More
ResearchMy research interests focus on neuro-recovery and spasticity management, as well as other treatment options for patients with spinal cord injury.
- Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals
- American Spinal Injury Association
- Association of Academic Physiatrists Member
- American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Member
- Interdisciplinary team approach for the management of severe spasticity after spinal cord injury. Accepted Posted Presentation. ASCIP Educational Conference and Expo, 2018.
- Transverse myelitis caused by Zika virus infection in the Caribbean: A case Report Poster Presentation AAPM&R Annual Assembly 2017.
- Neurogenic Bladder In Spinal Cord Injury Patients: Because physiatrist treat it too. Grand Round Oral Presentation, Veterans Affairs Caribbean Healthcare System, 2017.
- Transverse myelitis caused by Zika virus infection in the Caribbean: A case Report. ASCIP Educational Conference and Expo, 2017.
- Bilateral C5 Palsy after an Anterior Decompressive Surgery in a Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury Pediatric Patient: A Case Report, Puerto Rican Association of PM&R Annual Meeting Case Report Oral Presentation, 2016.
- Role of Blink Reflex Study in Multiphasic Acute Demyelinating Encephalomyelitis: A Case Report, AAP Annual Meeting Poster Presentation, 2016.
- Cannabinoids for treatment of spasticity and other symptoms related to multiple sclerosis (CAMS study): multicenter randomized placebo-controlled trial. Zajizek et al. THE LANCET • Vol 362 • November 8, 2003 Journal Club Oral Presentation, Puerto Rican Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Root Cause Analysis: Medication Administration Errors at Inpatient Units Team Leader/Presenter, Patient Safety Strategies, VA Caribbean Healthcare System, 2015.
- Seminar on Medical Ethics, Bioethics and Profesionalism (“Seminario de Ética Médica, Bioética y Profesionalismo del Colegio de Medicos Cirujanos de Puerto Rico”)
- Author, Teaching Module used in Puerto Rico's College of Surgeons, 2012.