Ramon Valentin, DO
I am an intensivist at Memorial Healthcare System. I care for patients in the hospital with shock syndromes, heart failure, life-threatening arrhythmias, respiratory failure, decompensated liver cirrhosis, stroke, renal failure, endocrinologic emergencies, and hematologic abnormalities including acute bleeding.
I’m board certified in critical care medicine and pulmonary medicine, and also enjoy treating patients with exacerbations of chronic lung disease, particularly interstitial lung disease.
I trained at the University of Florida where I was exposed to a wide variety of diseases in critical care medicine. This included experience in trauma, burn, transplant, and cardiovascular, neurological, and medical intensive care units.
I gravitated towards a career in medicine – and specifically critical care – because it combines the human aspect of helping people during tremendously vulnerable moments in their lives with the necessity for highly intellectual problem solving. Inpatient and critical care medicine challenges physicians to think more in-depth about a specific problem, often in a multidisciplinary fashion with other specialists, and in a time-sensitive manner. It’s an extremely exciting and gratifying field.
Every day, when working with patients, their loved ones – and even my colleagues – my goal is that everyone feels heard and respected. I believe that good communication breeds respect. And with respect comes humility and honesty. These are key ingredients to provide the high-quality, compassionate care that Memorial is known for.
Related Medical Services
- Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2014
- Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2015, Internal Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2017, Internal Medicine
- University Of Florida-Gainesville, 2020
American Board of Internal Medicine-Pulmonary Disease
American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine-Critical Care Medicine
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Osteopathic Association
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Hypocomplementemic Urticarial Vasculitis: A Rare Cause of Emphysema. Valentin, R; Alzghoul, B; Ataya, A; and Urbine, D. Poster presented at the Chest Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA. October 2019
- Anti-Synthetase Syndrome Associated with Pulmonary Venoocclusive Disease. Dana Kay, Garrett Fitzpatrick, Saminder Kalra, Ramon Valentin, Lauryn Benninger, and Ali Ataya. Poster presented at the Chest Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA. October 2019
- Sarcoid Acro-osteolysis. Saminder Kalra, Ramon Valentin, Ali Ataya, and Divya Patel. Poster presented at the Chest Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA. October 2019
- Three Cases of Sarcoidosis with Radiographic and Histopathologic Features of Usual Interstitial Pneumonia. Ramon Valentin, Ryan Hyde, Diana C. Gomez-Manjarres, and Divya C. Patel. Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in Dallas, TX. May 2019
- Endobronchial Valves for Management of Persistent Air Leaks in Diffuse Parenchymal Lung Disease. Ramon G. Valentin, Johny Jaber, Divya C. Patel, and Diana C. Gomez-Manjarres, Retrospective case series that was presented as a RAPiD: Rapid Abstract Poster Discussion Session for the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in Dallas, TX. May 2019
- Not Your Average Headache. Lauryn Benninger, Paul Simpson, Ramon Valentin, Salim Daouk, and Abbas Shamohammadi Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in Dallas, TX. A Case of Pulmonary Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder May 2019 Diagnosed by Bronchoalveolar Lavage Flow Cytometry Bashar Alzghoul, Ramon Valentin, P. Li, and Divya Patel Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in Dallas, TX. May 2019
- Acute fibrinous and organizing pneumonia after allogeneic stem cell transplant. Ramon Valentin, Lauryn Benninger, Dana Kay, Catherine Gonsalves, Wendy Stroh, Divya Patel, and Ali Ataya. Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in San Diego, CA. May 2018
- Why Won’t This Pneumonia Go Away? Lauryn Benninger, ramon Valentin, Ibrahim Faruqi, and Ali Ataya. Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in San Diego, CA. May 2018
- Pulmonary Hypertension Characteristics in Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency Patients Undergoing Lung Transplant Evaluation. Ramon Valentin, Dana Kay, Mark Brantly, Hassan Alnuaimat, and Ali Ataya. Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society International Meeting in San Diego, CA. May 2018
- Massive Bleed from Invasive Gastrointestinal Mucormycosis in an Immunocompetent Patient. Dana Kay, N. Dillow, Ramon G. Valentin, Lauryn Benninger, Cesar Trillo. Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society Internation Meeting in San Diego, CA. May 2018
- Can the Glasgow Blatchford Bleeding Score Be Used as a Criteria for Admission to the ICU in Cases of an Acute Gastrointestinal Bleed? Scott Lieberman, Ramon Valentin, Luis Lara, and Ben Krempley. Original research presented as an Original Investigation Slid presentation at the Chest Annual Meeting in Los Angeles, CA. October 2016