Shelly Miller, MD
I am an intensivist at Memorial Healthcare System. I work in the Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit caring for patients with a variety of cardiac conditions as well as those who have had heart or thoracic surgery – such as cardiopulmonary bypass and heart transplant surgeries.
I believe in a multidisciplinary approach to critical care and enjoy working with consultants, pharmacists, physical therapists, nutritionists, and case managers to ensure all aspects of the patient’s health and wellness are addressed. The intensive care unit can be an intimidating place, and I firmly believe that patients should have autonomy. I ensure they are involved in the decision-making process throughout their hospitalization. Unfortunately, there are times when patients are unable to make decisions for themselves and in these times I work very closely with their families to formulate a treatment plan.
In addition to practicing critical care, I have also published manuscripts and book chapters on pulmonary disease, and give presentations to both medical professionals and patients on a variety of topics. I am an active member of the American Thoracic Society and the American College of Chest Physicians.
I grew up in Hollywood, Florida, volunteered at Joe DiMaggio while in middle school and worked summers in Memorial Regional Hospital’s Emergency Room handling patient registration. Coming back to work at Memorial now as a physician feels like coming home. I am thrilled to be serving my hometown community.Related Medical Services
- University Of Miami School Of Medicine, 2011
- Jackson Memorial Hospital - Hematology/Oncology, 2012, Neurology
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2014, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami, 2017
American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine-Pulmonary Disease
- LAM Foundation Clinical-Director Travel Award (September 2016)
- American Thoracic Society Fellows Track Symposium Award (May 2016)
- Chief Fellow, Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship (May 2014-Present)
- Outstanding Achievement in Neurology Award for Medical Education (May 2011)
- Medical Scholars Program University of Miami; (One of 14/~400 applicants)
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society (2007)
- Rho Lambda National Sorority Leadership Recognition Society (2007)
- Bowman Foster Ashe Academic Scholarship, University of Miami (2004-2008)
- Department of Critical Care Miami VA Medical Center: Dr. Andrew Quartin, MD. Candidemia in the Critically Ill: An Investigation of Initial Therapy and Survival. (2012 – 2014)
- Batchelor Children’s Research Institute Division of Pediatric Neurology: Dr. Tingting Huang, MD, Ph.D: Investigating the use of stem cells in the treatment of pediatric stroke. (2009-2010)
- General Clinical Research Center Department of Cardiology: Dr. Barry Hurwitz: Investigating the relationship between epicardial fat and the metabolic syndrome. (2007-2008)
- Five Consecutive Cases of Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD):
Ninety Minute Oral Presentation moderated by Drs. Marilyn Glassberg and Paul Noble at Tristate Consecutive Case Conference on Lung Disease, Southeast Thoracic Association medical section of the American Lung Association of the Southeast, Inc. Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, September 16-18, 2016
- University of Miami Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Medicine:
Impact of Spontaneous Breathing Trials in a Hybrid, Academic and Private Acute Care Hospital. Poster presentation at American Thoracic Society International Conference, Denver, CO, May 17, 2015
- University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Department of Medicine:
Lemierre Syndrome: A life-threatening sore throat.
Poster Presentation 2013 Florida Medical Association Annual Meeting, July 28, 2013
- University of Miami Department of Neurology:
Poster Presentation 2010 American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting.
Shelly Miller, Dr. Richard Isaacson, MD. Effectiveness of a Web-Based Essential Neurologic Exam Video Tutorial in Combination with a Didactic Lecture vs. Didactic Lecture Alone: A Randomized Trial. Toronto, Ontario, April 2010