Ashwin Mehta, MD
Memorial Division of Integrative Medicine
In accord with our mission statement – to heal the body, mind and spirit of those we touch – Dr. Ashwin Mehta was recruited as the Medical Director of Integrative Medicine at Memorial Healthcare System in October 2015.
Dr. Mehta trained as a fellow in the Program of Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona, with Dr. Andrew Weil. Board certified in Internal Medicine and Sleep, Dr. Mehta served as the conference co-chair for the International Society for Integrative Oncology in 2016, where 32 countries were represented among more than 500 participants.
His expertise includes nutrition, exercise, sleep, yoga and mindfulness to achieve wellness in the context of coping with chronic medical conditions. Dr. Mehta’s research interests include the use of preventative medicine and positive health behaviors to improve quality of life in patients being treated for cancer, heart disease and neurological conditions, as well as those undergoing rehabilitation for chronic pain.
Dr. Mehta’s team comprises experts in complementary techniques, and they are developing innovative, client-centered wellness programs aimed to enhance quality of life throughout the spectrum of care. Our Integrative Medicine Division conducts “Next Step Orientation Sessions” where new patients at Memorial Cancer Institute are made aware of the supportive care services available. Dr. Mehta has also created the Integrative Cancer Survivorship program where patients can be coached regarding holistic and evidence-based techniques of staying cancer free after treatment.
The Integrative Medicine team at Memorial works closely with the Physician Wellness Committee and provides consultations to improve the overall health of our physician workforce. Dr. Mehta envisions integrative medicine as a driving force towards a new paradigm of quality healthcare where patient satisfaction and experience are given due importance.Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Mehta
- St George's University School Of Medicine, 2005
- Univ Of Fl Health Science Ctr/Shands Jacksonville, 2008, Internal Medicine
- University Of Miami, 2009, Sleep Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Sleep Medicine
- Co-Chair of the Society of Integrative Oncology 13th Annual International Conference, Miami, Florida, November 5-7, 2016
- Dean's Scholarship, Department of Health Systems Management, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 2000
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
- American College of Physicians
- Faculty contributor of sleep chapter: Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine fellowship program, 2012
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Editorial Review Board, since 2011
- Ad hoc reviewer for the Federal Practitioner, since 2009
- NIH, American Academy of Sleep Medicine – Young Investigator Research Forum 2010
- SHM, Academic Hospitalist Academy – 2010
- Canyon Ranch, Miami – Presentation: Integrative Approaches to Optimum Sleep; November 2009
- Canyon Ranch, Miami – Presentation: Sleep and Wellness – Research Horizons; November 2010
- Mehta A, et al. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Improves Total Sleep Time in Veterans with PTSD. Presented. American Academy of Sleep Medicine; Boston, Massachusetts – 2012
- Mehta A, Sleep, Chronic Pain and Inflammation: Integrative Approaches to Psychoneuroimmunology. Presented. American Academy of Pain Management; Las Vegas, Nevada – 2011
- Mehta A, Kaw R, Perioperative Management of Sleep Apnea in Patients for Non-cardiac Surgery. Presented. Perioperative Medicine Summit; Miami, Florida – 2011
- Deitel M, Field SK, Mehta A, Dixon JB, Obstructive Sleep Apnea in the Obese. In: Deitel M, Gagner M, Dixon JB, Himpens J, Madan AK, editors. The Handbook of Obesity Surgery. 1st ed. Toronto: FD-Communications Inc; 2010
- Mehta A, Guzman N, Rangaswami R: A Central Nervous System Manifestation of Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome. Presented. American College of Physicians; Tampa, Florida – 2007
- Mehta A, Palacio C: Liver Failure without Preceding Transaminitis in a Patient on HAART. Presented. American College of Physicians; West Palm Beach, Florida – 2006
- Mehta A, Viamonte M: Complications Following Multimodality Treatment of Malignant Mesothelioma. Presented. American College of Physicians; Tampa, Florida – 2005