Nicholas Jeffrey, MD
I am an OB/GYN high-risk hospitalist with Memorial Healthcare System. I care for patients with many complications of pregnancy. This includes pregnant women with medical problems such as hypertension, diabetes, lupus, obesity, sickle cell disease, asthma and heart disease. I also see patients who are pregnant with babies with congenital anomalies and other high-risk obstetrical problems, like fetal growth restriction, preeclampsia, recurrent pregnancy loss and placenta accreta.
I also provide care for women with general and high-risk gynecologic needs (such as well exams, pap smears, abnormal periods, contraception, vaginal discharge, pregnancy loss and menopause) as well as gynecologic emergencies (such as ectopic pregnancy, hemorrhage and complications of pregnancy loss) at our Memorial Primary Care Center.
I was inspired to pursue a career in medicine after watching my mother care for women during pregnancy and childbirth. She was a midwife in Jamaica and then became a labor and delivery nurse at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. She and the other nurses she worked with encouraged me to go into medicine.
While in graduate school studying public health, I studied health disparities in the United States, especially disparities in maternal morbidity for black women. This inspired me to go on the frontlines to address the issue. Growing up in South Broward, I knew I wanted to make my way back to providing care for this community.
I love helping women achieve their health and family-planning goals. Having a high-risk pregnancy can be distressing, and I do everything in my power to walk alongside women and their partners through this difficult time. The team is here to counsel, support and provide the care you need to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Florida State University, 2016
- Lac/Usc Medical Center Women's Ped Hospital, 2017, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Lac/Usc Medical Center Women's Ped Hospital, 2020, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Medical Student Teaching Award, USC Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, 2018.
- Jeffrey, N. J. Marion Sims: Father of Modern Gynecology Restriction. Grand Rounds, LAC+USC Medical Center, 2019.
- Jeffrey, N., Nguyen, B. Men, masculinity and male birth control: Attitudes from African American men in Los Angeles, CA. USC Department of OB/GYN 33rd Annual Scientific Forum Resident & Fellow Research Symposium, Los Angeles, California, 2019.
- Jeffrey, N., Patel, J. Complications of therapeutic abortion. USC Department of OB/GYN Quality Improvement Educational Conference, Los Angeles, California, 2019.
- Jeffrey, N., Garcia, J., Karmin, I., Maguire, K., Potter J.E. Human immunodeficiency virus and sexually transmitted infection screening at loop electrosurgical procedure: A missed opportunity? American College of Obstetrics ad Gynecology 2014 Annual Clinical Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, 2014.
- Jeffrey N., Potter, J.E., Cotter, A., Messick, B. Pregnancy outcomes and cardiovascular risk factors among perinatally HIV-infected adolescents. 2010 Ryan White Grantee Meeting and 13th Clinical Conference, Washington, D.C., 2010.