Hugo Fernandez, MD
Hugo Fernandez, MD is Chair and Medical Director of Moffitt Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Memorial Healthcare System. Dr. Fernandez is also a professor of oncology at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine. His clinical and research interests include therapies for acute myeloid and lymphoid disorders, developing new transplant conditioning regimens for myeloid leukemia and expanding transplantation for elderly patients.
Dr. Fernandez earned his medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine. He served a residency in internal medicine and was chief resident at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, where he also completed a fellowship in hematology/oncology. Dr. Fernandez then pursued additional training as an academic fellow in blood and marrow transplantation at the University of Texas/MD Anderson Cancer Center.
He most recently served as vice chair and clinical director for the Department of Blood and Marrow Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy at Moffitt Cancer Center. Prior to joining Moffitt, Dr. Fernandez was an associate professor of clinical medicine and director of the bone marrow transplant program at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Dr. Fernandez has been published in numerous peer-reviewed journals and is an ad hoc reviewer for various professional journals. He is a member of several medical organizations and serves as a board member for the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cell Therapy and for the Moffitt Medical Group.
Meet Dr. Fernandez
- UF, Office Of The Registar, 1987
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1988, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1990, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1991, Internal Medicine
- University Of Miami Hospital And Clinics, 1994, Hematology
- University Of Texas-MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1994
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology