Michael Cortelli, MD
Chief of Adult Cardiac Surgery, Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
Dr. Michael Cortelli, a board-certified cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon, has performed or assisted in more than 4,000 heart surgeries and specializes in minimally invasive surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation, mitral valve surgery and mechanical circulatory support. He earned his medical degree at the University of South Florida College of Medicine. He completed his general surgery residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and completed his residency in cardiothoracic surgery at the Texas Heart Institute.
Prior to joining Memorial Healthcare System, Dr. Cortelli was Chairman of the Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery at Brandon Regional Hospital in Brandon, Florida. He was also in private practice and held additional surgical privileges at Tampa General Hospital and the Regional Medical Center at Bayonet Point.
Dr. Cortelli is a member of the Florida Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons and the Society of Thoracic Surgery, and he is active in community outreach and education.
Meet Dr. Cortelli
- University Of South Florida College Of Medicine, 1989
- University Of Texas Medical School At Houston, 1994, Surgery
- Texas Heart Institute, 1996, Cardiothoracic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery-Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery-Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- Ebba Alm Educational Scholarship
- Themis Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Pi Mu Epsilon Math Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Paramedical Honor Society
- Honors Surgery Preceptorship, USF College of Medicine
- Outstanding Surgical Teaching Resident, The University of Texas at Houston Medical School
- American Medical Association
- Florida Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgery
- Cooley Hand’s Society