Michael Cortelli, MD
Hollywood, FL 33021
Chief, Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
I am a cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon and chief of Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute. I have performed or assisted in more than 4,000 heart surgeries and specialize in minimally invasive surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation, mitral valve surgery and mechanical circulatory support.
My father had heart disease at a very young age, so in the back of my mind I was always interested in cardiac care. My parents also encouraged me to go into medicine and I quickly knew that this was the path for me. I love coming to the operating room, doing surgery and taking care of patients. This is what I was meant to do.
When caring for patients, I’m going to take care of them like they’re one of my family members. If I recommend surgery or another treatment option, please know that it’s the same opinion I would give to my mother or father. Here at MCVI, everyone is a family member. It’s just the Memorial way.
The most rewarding feeling is taking care of someone and then seeing them doing well. It feels great to know that you made a small or big difference in their lives and their family’s lives.
In addition to providing patient care, I’m proud to lead the Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute. Every year, we’ve grown and offered a comprehensive program providing total heart care for the community. Everything we do is a team effort. Now, we’re excited to be expanding into communities outside of our immediate area to provide the same level of care to others who need it.
Before coming to Memorial, I was Chairman of the Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery at Brandon Regional Hospital in Brandon, Florida. I was also in private practice and held additional surgical privileges at Tampa General Hospital and the Regional Medical Center at Bayonet Point.
Meet Dr. Cortelli
- University Of South Florida College Of Medicine, 1989
- University Of Texas Medical School At Houston, 1994, Surgery
- Texas Heart Institute, 1996, Cardiothoracic Surgery
American Board of Thoracic Surgery-Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- Ebba Alm Educational Scholarship
- Themis Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Pi Mu Epsilon Math Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Paramedical Honor Society
- Honors Surgery Preceptorship, USF College of Medicine
- Outstanding Surgical Teaching Resident, The University of Texas at Houston Medical School
- American Medical Association
- Florida Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgery
- Cooley Hand’s Society