Norman Ajiboye, MD
Medical Director, Stroke Program, Memorial Hospital Miramar and Memorial Hospital Pembroke
I am a neurointerventional surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System. I completed a cerebrovascular fellowship at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, and an advanced fellowship in neuro-endovascular surgery at the Texas Stroke Institute.
I am dually trained in the medical and neuroendovascular surgical care of stroke patients. My clinical interests include the utilization of neuro-endovascular surgical techniques for the management of complex brain and spinal cord vascular diseases such as aneurysms, complex vascular tumors, arteriovenous malformations and fistulas. I participate in intracranial and cervical carotid angioplasty and stenting for atherosclerotic stenosis. I’m also involved in the treatment of cerebral vasospasm, endovascular tumor embolization, refractory epistaxis, and intra-arterial mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischemic stroke.
I have published several peer-reviewed articles, some of which have included the management of carotid aneurysms with pipeline embolization devices. I have also written several textbook chapters in the management of subarachnoid hemorrhage and acute ischemic stroke in the neurosurgical intensive care unit.
I am a member of several scientific societies such as the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery (SNIS), and have presented at numerous national conferences. I am a clinical reviewer for the Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery. I am at the forefront of developing and utilizing new neuro-endovascular techniques to alleviate the burden of cerebrovascular disease and currently participate as principal investigator for several clinical research projects.
I am passionate about providing outstanding and comprehensive clinical care to all patients. I use a combination of compassionate care and cutting-edge, neuro-endovascular surgical techniques to provide the best quality care to my patients. I am dedicated to eliminating healthcare disparities and building sustainable, healthy communities. My clinical acumen and community work have been recognized with several awards from different organizations. Recently, I received the 40 under 40 leader in health awards from the NMQF organization, an American Health Services System based in Washington, DC. I am the former co-medical director of the neuro-endovascular surgery fellowship program at Texas Stroke Institute and assistant professor of neuro-endovascular surgery at TCU-UNTHSC School of Medicine.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Ajiboye
- Brain Aneurysm Prevention Tips from Memorial
- COVID-19 Stroke Risk and Symptoms
- Only 10 Years Old, Lance Acts FAST During Mom’s Stroke
- Mother who suffered stroke says 10-year-old son helped save her life
- Sandy’s Brain Aneurysm Story – An Amazing Outcome
- Stroke Survivors Reunite With Rescue Workers and Medical Team At Memorial Neuroscience Institute
- Transcarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR) at Memorial
- Reynold’s Transcarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR) Story
- Rush University Medical Center Program, 2005
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 2016, Neurology
- Wake Forest University, 2009, Neurosurgery
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 2017, Vascular Neurology
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology-Neurology
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology-Vascular Neurology
- Recipient of the “Faculty Physicians Excellence Award for Teaching” from Memorial Hospital System Graduate Medical Education, 2022
- Recipient of “The 40 Under 40 Leaders in Health” Award presented by the National Minority Quality Forum (NMQF) at the Annual NMQF Leadership Summit on Health Disparities and Spring Health Braintrust at the Watergate Hotel, Washington DC. April 2020. Postponed due to the COVID-19 virus pandemic.
- Recipient of the Clinical Researchers in Neurology and Neuroscience Award presented by the American Academy of Neurology at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia PA. May 2019
- Recipient of the prestigious Diversity Leadership Program (DLP) Award presented by the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) at the Annual Meeting in Los Angeles CA. January 2018
- The DLP is designed to identify and develop talent among experienced members for future leadership roles in the AAN and beyond. I received personalized coaching by an executive consultant, individual mentoring by a member of the AAN board of directors, and personal and professional development. I participated in an AAN board assigned project with presentation to the AAN Board of Directors in September 2018.
- Second Place Finish at the American Academy of Neurology National Neurobowl Competition in Boston MA (Captain of the team). April 2017
- Recipient of the Clinical Researchers in Neurology and Neuroscience Award presented by the American Academy of Neurology at the Annual Meeting in Boston MA. April 2017
- Recipient of the Stroke Grant Award from the American Heart Association for the International Stroke Conference in Houston TX. February 2017
- The Neuroscience Research Award for Outstanding Achievement in Clinical and Basic Neuroscience Research; presented by Christopher T. Skidmore M.D. Department of Neurological Sciences; Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- The Leon Peris Medical Award presented by Dean David Nash M.D. M.B.A.
- The Resident “Just Do It Award” presented by Christopher T. Skidmore M.D. Department of Neurological Sciences; Thomas Jefferson University Hospital 2016 The Journal Club Excellence Award presented by William B. Young M.D. Department of Neurological Sciences; Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Recipient of the Enhanced Leadership Program Award Presented by the American Academy of Neurology at the Annual Meeting in Vancouver, Canada. April 16th, 2016
- Recipient of the Travel Grant Award from the American Academy of Neurology, 2016
- 2016 Recipient of the Travel Grant Award from the Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, 2016
- Member, Examination Committee for Neurointerventional Surgery Certification from the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties (UCNS)
- Senior Member, Society of Neuro- Interventional Surgery
- American Heart Association
- America Stroke Association
- Society for Vascular and Interventional Neurology
- American Academy of Neurology
- Pennsylvania Neurologic Society
- American College of Physicians
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- American Medical Association
In addition to providing patient care, I enjoy participating in research to improve our understanding of the brain and nervous system, and advance treatment options for my patients.
My research interests include the management of chronic intracranial subdural hematoma and large anterior circulation ischemic stroke.
Recent research projects include:
- Texas Stroke Institute; Department of Neuro-Endovascular Surgery
Present Principal Investigator for:
“EMBOLISE Study- A Prospective, Randomized, study to assess the functional outcome in the management of chronic intracranial subdural hematoma with surgical evacuation versus middle meningeal artery embolization”
- Texas Stroke Institute; Department of Neuro-Endovascular Surgery
Co-Principal Investigator for:
“SMART – A prospective, multicenter registry assessing the embolization of neurovascular lesions using the Penumbra SMART COIL® System”
“TRUST - A Phase 3, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Study of the Aureva Transcranial Ultrasound Device with Tissue Plasminogen Activator in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke”
“STRIP - Stroke Thromboembolism Registry of Imaging and Pathology for the evaluation and analysis of cerebral intravascular clots”
“STERLING - A Prospective, Multi-Center, Single Arm Study to obtain “real world” clinical data and characterize the and long term performance of the MICRUSFRAME and GALAXY coils for the endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms.”
“EXCELLENT - Embotrap Extraction and Clot Evaluation and Lesion Evaluation for Neuro Thrombectomy”
“TIMELESS - A Phase III, Prospective, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Thrombolysis in Imaging-Eligible, Late-window patients to assess the Efficacy and Safety of Tenecteplase with the use of the iSchemaView’s RAPID software”
“The TESLA Trial - Thrombectomy for Emergent Salvage of Large Anterior Circulation Ischemic Stroke with ASPECTS of 3 to 6 within 16 hours of last known normal.”
“VIZ.AI Study - Evaluation of the utility of artificial intelligence for the early prediction of intracranial large vessel occlusion”. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Invited Speaker, Novel Techniques: Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Sub-acute and Chronic Subdural Hematoma at Medical City Plano. January 29, 2020.
- Invited Speaker, Neurosurgical & Neuro-Critical Care Conference at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital: The Role of Intravenous Thrombolysis in the Prediction of Functional Outcome in Patients who undergo Endovascular Thrombectomy with Newer Generation Stent Retrievers. May 18, 2017
- Invited Speaker, Neurosurgical & Neuro-Critical Care Conference at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital: Evaluation and Management of Cervical Arterial Dissections. January 5, 2017
- Invited Speaker at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Cerebrovascular Weekly Conference (attendees may receive CME Credits). 2016- 2017
- Invited Speaker at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Seminar for Neurologic Emergencies: National Institute of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) Certification Lecture. July 7, 2016
- Invited Speaker, Neurology Grand Rounds at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital: Flow Diversion Versus Conventional Treatment for Carotid Cavernous Aneurysms. May 27, 2016
- Invited Speaker at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital: Neurology Board Review. November 30, 2015
- Invited Speaker, Neurology Grand Rounds at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital: An Unusual Case of Generalized Weakness. November 20, 2015
- Invited Speaker at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Seminar for Neurologic Emergencies: Encephalitis. July 21, 2014
- Invited Speaker, Neurology Grand Rounds at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital: A Case of Ambulatory Dysfunction. September 27, 2013
- Invited Speaker at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Medical Seminar: Neurologic Manifestations of Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. December 11, 2012.