Delia Guaqueta Segura, MD
I am a hematologist/oncologist at Memorial Healthcare System specializing in treating patients with breast cancer. I care for patients at every stage of their medical journey, from diagnosis through treatment and into remission. I also see patients who are at a high risk of developing breast cancer due to their genetic disposition and other factors.
I was drawn to a career in medicine because I believe that when you positively affect someone's health, you can impact his or her entire life. I decided to focus mostly on female malignancies in cancer care because I believe as a female physician I can better understand, empathize and relate to the changes a woman goes through during her cancer journey. I want to not only provide the medical treatment and expertise necessary to help someone heal, but also be a part of their support system cheering them on.
It's rewarding to be able to show patients that they are strong enough to battle cancer and get through this difficult time. I try to empower my patients to take charge of their care. I work with each patient and their family as a team. We're all in this together. I provide my expertise, experience, council and advice, but at the end of the day I want every patient to follow the path that they feel is right for them. I promise to be here every step of the way and help them access the services they need to improve their health.
Even when someone is struggling, it's an honor to be there for them and help them achieve a good quality of life so they can continue to enjoy hobbies, work and activities, and most important spend time with their loved ones.
In addition to providing patient care, I'm also involved in research. The field of breast oncology is rapidly changing each year, and I enjoy contributing to the research that is helping to bring new information and therapies to the patients who need them.
I also do one personal fundraising project each year, where I run a marathon to raise money for the American Cancer Society. It's just one small way I can give back to an organization that is helping advance the field of oncology.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Guaqueta Segura
- Universidad de la Sabana, 2001
- Steward Carney Hospital, 2007, Internal Medicine
- Steward Carney Hospital, 2009, Internal Medicine
- Boston Medical Center, 2012, Oncology and Hematology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- Clinical Cancer Genomics Community of Practice
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Florida ASCO
- C. Guaqueta. Hypercoagulable State during pregnancy. XI Congreso Internacional de Medicina y Especialidades Kennedy 2014
- C. Guaqueta. Sindromes Mieloproliferativos. XI Congreso Internacional de Medicina Y Especialidades Kennedy 2014
- C. Guaqueta, E. Molina, M.L. Brantly, A. Conrad, A. Tzakis, M. De Medina, E.R. Schiff. Interim Study of the Prevalence of Heterozygote Alpha 1-Antitrypsin in Chronic Liver Disease. Alpha 1-Antitrypsin Forum 2003
- Regev, C. Guaqueta, A. Conrad, M. Brantly, M. Eisenberg, A.G. Tzakis, E.R. Schiff. Does the Heterozygote State of Alpha 1-Antitrypsin have a role in Chronic Liver Diseases? AASLD 2004
- M. Sehi, D.C. Guaqueta, W.J. Feuer, D.S. Greenfield, Advanced Imaging in Glaucoma Study Group. An Enhancement Module to Improve the Atypical Birefringence Pattern Using Scanning Laser Polarimetry with Variable Corneal Compensation. ARVO 2006
- D.C. Guaqueta, M. Sehi, W. Feuer, C. Quinn, R.W. Knighton, D.S. Greenfield. A comparison of structural measurements using two StratusTM Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) Instruments. ARVO 2006
- D.C. Guaqueta, M. Sehi, W. Feuer, D.S. Greenfield. A comparison of macula and optic nerve head structural measurements using two StratusTM Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) Instruments. ISIE 2006