Melissa Diamond, MD
I am a pediatric cardiologist at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and Memorial Healthcare System. I care for children, adolescents, and teens with congenital heart disease and other heart conditions and concerns.
I studied biomedical engineering in college and was always intrigued by the heart –it’s a fascinating system of pipes and electrical circuits. I continued with medical school to pursue a career in cardiology and focused on pediatric cardiology because it involves a vast array of pathology, from congenital heart defects to arrhythmia and cardiomyopathy.
As a pediatric cardiologist, I love interacting with my young patients and their families and helping them manage their child's congenital heart defects. When a child is involved, it really is a family affair. I like to sit down and talk and draw pictures of the congenital heart defect and explain in detail what the problem is and how we can manage it. I also try to answer all the families’ questions in a way so that everyone understands the condition and care plan.
In addition to working with patients, I am actively involved in national medical organizations and local community groups. I often write and present lectures about topics relating to pediatric cardiology and currently serve on the American Heart Association Go Red For Women Executive Committee and am a board member for the Pediatric Angels Foundation.
- University Of Miami-Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2010
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2013, Pediatrics
- Jackson Memorial Hospital - Hematology/Oncology, 2016, Pediatric Cardiology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
- American Heart Association Women of Impact Nominee, 2021
- Florida Pediatric Society Warren Quillian Award for Excellence in Pediatrics, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 2010
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, The highest honor attained at the University of Miami, 2010
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association
- Diamond MB, Touissant R, Gencorelli F, Sandhu SK. Transcatheter Melody Medtronic Valve® Placement in the Setting of Conduit or Bioprosthetic Valve Dysfunction in Congenital Heart Disease. Miami Valves Conference. October 2015, Miami, FL Third Place Award Winner
- Diamond MB, Jivani N, Touissant R, Saab A, Sandhu SK. Transcatheter Stent Placement in Coarctation of the Aorta. Miami Valves Conference. October 2015, Miami, FL
- Diamond MB, Ruiz-Mesa C, Corrales-Medina FF, Tamariz L, Sandhu SK, Ziga ED, Swamianthan S. Incidence and Outcome of Pericardial Effusion in Pediatric Patients Undergoing Stem Cell Transplant: A Single-Institution Experience. American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting. April 2016, Chicago, IL
- Diamond MB, Ruiz-Mesa C, Corrales-Medina FF, Tamariz L, Sandhu SK, Ziga ED, Swamianthan S. Echocardiogram in Pericardial Effusion in Pediatric Patients Undergoing Stem Cell Transplant. Pediatric Academic Society. May 2016, Baltimore, MD
- Melissa Diamond, A. Bonner, D. Pedroso, T. Milne, L. Latta. Biomechanical Analysis of UCBL/Articulated AFO in a Stage II Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference. Miami, FL. 2009