Summer is officially here -- a time of barbeques, family gatherings and delicious food. But, according to executive chef of Memorial Regional Hospital, Chef Pierre Flerismond, delicious food doesn’t mean unhealthy food.
Take one of the chef’s healthy recipes home with you. This shrimp, jicama and chile vinegar salad is rich in protein and only 260 calories.
Datasource: Shrimp jicama salad
- 2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon fresh, seeded and minced jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro
- 2 cups peeled, shredded jicama
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tomatillos, husked and sliced
- 3 heirloom tomatoes
- Mix rice vinegar, sugar, jalapeno pepper and cilantro in a bowl; stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Place jicama and 1/3 of the vinegar dressing in a re-sealable plastic bag; seal and refrigerate for one hour.
- Place shrimp in a separate re-sealable plastic bag with 1/3 of the dressing; seal and refrigerate for one hour. Refrigerate remaining vinegar dressing.
- Arrange alternate slices of tomatillo and tomato around the edge of a salad plate.
- Mound marinated jicama in the center of the plate and top with marinated shrimp.
- Pour remaining 1/3 of the dressing over the salad.
- Makes 4 Servings
- Calories: 260
- Protein: 25 g
- Carbohydrate: 36 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 221 mg
- Sodium: 1100 mg