I am a trauma and acute care surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System. I treat patients suffering from acute traumatic injury such as motor vehicle crashes, falls, firearm injuries, and stab wounds.
I also treat patients with emergency general surgical conditions such as cholecystitis, appendicitis, and soft tissue infections. In the intensive care unit, I care for patients who are suffering from multiorgan system failure and require advanced life support such as mechanical ventilation and continuous renal replacement.
I chose a career in medicine because I believe the true way to find joy in life is through benevolent action. Helping patients recover from illness and injury through surgical procedures is the most direct way I feel I can induce healing as a physician.
Building trust with my patients and their loved ones is very important to me. I find it’s essential to the healing process that the patient trusts the plan of care and those delivering it. I also offer emotional support that supplements the surgical and medical care I provide.
In addition to caring for patients, I am a peer reviewer for the Public Library of Science (PLOS) One, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and World Journal of Surgery. I also have more than forty peer-reviewed publications and participate regularly at regional and national surgical conferences.
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 2013
JFK Medical Center, 2018, Surgery
Ryder Trauma Center, 2019
American Board of Surgery-Surgery
American Board of Surgery-Surgical Critical Care
Awards, Achievements, and More
PublicationsPlease view Dr. Joshua P. Parreco’s publications on PubMed.
ResearchMy clinical research interests include utilizing large medical data repositories and artificial intelligence to improve patient care.
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Florida Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
- Association for Academic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- Parreco, J., Donath, E., Bathaii, M. M., & Finch, M. (2016, June). Comparing
Outcomes After Endovascular Versus Open Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
Using The Nationwide Readmission Database. Presented at the C3 Conference,
- Parreco, J., Eby, M., Kurian, A., Faber, C., & Kozol, R. (2017, January). Meta-analysis of Thromboelastography for Postoperative Hemorrhage After Cardiac Surgery. Presented at the Academic Surgical Congress, Las Vegas, NV.
- Eby, M., Parreco, J., Martinez, R., & Kozol, R. (2017, January). Outcomes and Costs for Thoracoscopic Alone Versus Robotic Assisted Thoracoscopic Procedures. Presented at the Academic Surgical Congress, Las Vegas, NV.
- Parreco, J., Payson, A., Scurci, S., Tashiro, J., & Sola, J. (2017, January). Teenage Trauma Patients are at Increased Risk of 30-day Readmission For Mental Disorders. Presented at the Academic Surgical Congress, Las Vegas, NV.
- Patel, C., Parreco, J., Cortolillo, N., Castillo, A., & Orloff, S. (2017, March). Risk Factors and Costs Associated with Hemodialysis After Liver Transplant. Presented at the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Annual Meeting, Miami Beach, FL.
- Patel, C., Parreco, J., Kaza, S., & Castillo, A. (2017, March). Nationwide outcomes and costs of laparoscopic and robotic vs open hepatectomies. Presented at the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Houston, TX.
- Castillo, A., Parreco, J., Naugler, W. E., Kolbeck, K. J., Farsad, K., Orloff, S. L., … Enestvedt, C. K. (2017, April). A propensity matched survival analysis comparing treatment strategies for stage B and C hepatocellular carcinoma. Presented at the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Annual Meeting, Miami Beach, FL.
- Rattan, R., Parreco, J., Zakrison, T. L., Yeh, D. D., Lieberman, H. M., & Namias, N. (2017, May). Same-Hospital Re-Admission Rate Is Not Reliable for Measuring PostOperative Infection-Related Re-Admission. Presented at the 37th Annual Meeting of the Surgical Infection Society, St. Louis, MO.
- Rattan, R., Parreco, J., & Namias, N. (2017, September). Nonelective Readmission After Emergency General Surgery. Presented at the 76th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Baltimore, MD.
- Zarak, A., Parreco, J., Tuggle, K., & Duncan, T. (2017, October). Predictors for 30- Day Readmissions After Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery. Presented at the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Annual Meeting at ObesityWeek, Washington, DC.
- General Surgery Resident of the Year, University of Miami, Palm Beach, 2018
- 2nd Place Resident Paper Competition, Florida Committee on Trauma, 2018
- Gold Medal Forum Presentation, Southeastern Surgical Congress, 2018
- Scholarly Activity Commendation, University of Miami, Palm Beach, 2017
- Florida Vascular Foundation Scholarship, Florida Vascular Society, 2015
- George Paff Teaching Award, University of Miami, Palm Beach, 2014
- Research Day Best Poster Presentation in General Surgery, JFK Medical Center, 2014 ABSITE 80th Percentile Club, University of Miami, Palm Beach, 2014