Matthew Fazekas, MD
Dr. Matthew Fazekas is a board-certified pediatrician with fellowship training and board certification in pediatric, adolescent and young adult sports medicine. He graduated summa cum laude from the Honors Program at the University of Georgia with a Bachelor of Business Administration. He subsequently earned his medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia, and then completed a pediatric residency at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. Dr. Fazekas then completed a sports medicine fellowship through Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Fazekas has served as a consulting and team physician for the Boston Ballet, Northeastern University, Emmanuel College, and Milton Academy. He also provided event coverage for the BAA Boston Marathon in addition to other national mass sporting events.
Dr. Fazekas is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, the American College of Sports Medicine, Alpha Omega Alpha, the medical honor society, and is a fellow member of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Dr. Fazekas is originally from Atlanta, GA and lives with his wife and son in South Florida. His areas of interest include sports injuries, concussion management, and dance medicine.
Visit kidbones for more information on Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.Related Medical Services
- Medical College Of Georgia School Of Medicine, 2011
- Monroe Carell Jr Children's Hosptal at Vanderbilt, 2014, Pediatrics
- Boston Children's Hospital - Harvard Medical School - Fellowship, 2015, Sports Medicine
American Board of Pediatrics-Sports Medicine
- Sports medicine
- Concussion management
- Performing arts and dance medicine
- Pediatric orthopaedics
- Pediatric and adolescent fracture care
- Arnold P. Gold Humanism Honor Society, Medical College of Georgia, 2011
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Medical College of Georgia, 2010
- Terry College of Business Departmental Honors, University of Georgia at Athens, 2007
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society, University of Georgia at Athens, 2005
- University of Georgia Presidential Scholar, 2004-2007
- State of Georgia HOPE Scholar, 2003-2007
- State of Georgia Governor’s Scholarship, 2003-2007
- Salutatorian, Roswell High School, Roswell, Georgia, 2003
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Pediatric Research in Sports Medicine Society
- Effectiveness and Utility of Sports Medicine Smartphone Weather App Compared to Traditional Monitoring Devices. Vanderbilt Sports Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, 2013-2014. Principal Investigator: Dr. Alex Diamond.
- Utility of Ultrasound on the Patellar Tendon in the Pre-participation Exam Setting. Boston Children’s Hospital, Division of Sports Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 2014-2015. Principal Investigator: Dr. Pierre d’Hemecourt.
- Program for Injury Prevention in Youth Sports; Vanderbilt University Sports Medicine; Fazekas ML. Heat Illness and Weather Safety. (July 2015)
- New England Chapter American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM); Case Presentation; Fazekas ML. An Interesting presentation of a Common Problem: An Eighteen-year-old Male with Chest Pain. (October 2014)
- Fazekas ML. and Durnad K. Discussion of Time Interval Between Concussions and Symptom Duration (Eisenberg, et al. Pediatrics. 2013-043). Pediatric Journal Club. MCJCH Vanderbilt. (September 2013)
- Fazekas ML. Overuse Injuries of the Knee. Pediatric Morning Report. MCJCH Vanderbilt. (May 2013)
- Fazekas ML. Heat-related Illness. Pediatric Morning Report. MCJCH Vanderbilt. (August 2012)
- Society Academic Emergency Medicine; Annual Society Meeting; Poster - Ander DS, Quest T, Abramson JL, Fazekas ML, Moshettieri S, Copeland B. Discordance between knowledge and self-care in underserved heart failure population in an inner-city emergency department setting. (May 2009)
- Society Academic Emergency Medicine; Southeast Region Meeting; Presentation - Ander DS, Quest T, Abramson JL, Fazekas ML, Moshettieri S, Copeland B. Discordance between knowledge and self-care in underserved heart failure population in an inner-city emergency department setting. (March 2009)