Michelle DeFreitas, MD
I am an urgent care physician at Memorial Healthcare System.
Before becoming a physician, I was a social worker helping children with disabilities and their families in Broward County. During that time, I saw the need for family doctors who could take more time with some patients and their families to provide more individualized, comprehensive care. That inspired me to pursue a career in medicine – so I could fill the void that I saw in many patients' lives.
Many factors can influence a family's health, including environmental and social factors. I take my time to get to know each family and patient that I treat, and not only meet their immediate health concerns, but also give them the tools, resources and guidance to meet their long-term health goals. At Memorial, we have the infrastructure and support system in place that makes it easy and convenient for patients to access the services they need.
Before joining Memorial, I completed a three-year family medicine residency-training program at West Kendall Baptist Hospital/ Florida International University.
My current research interests focus on many aspects of women's health.
Related Medical Services
- St. Matthew's University, 2012
- Baptist Hospital Of Miami, 2014, Family Medicine
- Baptist Hospital Of Miami, 2016, Family Medicine
- Circle K International Community Service Recognition, St. Matthew's University School of Medicine
- Quentin Burdick Rural Interdisciplinary Scholar, University of South Florida College of Public Health
- University of South Florida Academic Multicultural Scholar Award, University of South Florida College of Public Health