Hematology & Medical Oncology Fellowship Education
Explore Our Hematology & Medical Oncology Fellowship Curriculum
There are two (2) outpatient (OP) locations and one (1) inpatient (IP) location.
- Memorial Hospital West (MHW) West OP Cancer Center
- Memorial Regional Hospital (MRH) East OP Cancer Center
MHW Floor 3 West (Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy) - also referred to as Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy (MHCT).
The following physicians are employees of Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, but they are full-time physicians at Memorial Healthcare System Memorial Cancer Institute:
- Yehuda Deutsch, MD
- Hugo Fernandez, MD
- Jennifer Logue MD
- Nina Nguyen, MD
- Claudia Paba-Prada MD
- Jose Sandoval-Sus, MD
- Carlos Silva, MD
- Fernando Madueno Vargas, MD
There are three (3) outpatient (OP) and two (2) inpatient (IP) locations.
- Memorial Regional Hospital (MRH) East Oncology: Drs. Atif Hussein, Michel Vulfovich, Matthew Salzberg, Brian Hunis, Frederick Wittlin, and Jennifer Zikria.
- MRH East Breast Cancer Center: Drs. Marcel Blaya and Delia Guaqueta.
- Freestanding new Cancer Center: Coming in January 2024
- MHW West General Hematology/Oncology: Drs. Luis Raez, Gelenis Domino, Pablo Ferraro, Anna Abraham, Daren Grosman, Robert Hirsch, and Manuel Martinez-Rio.
- MHW West Breast Cancer Center: Drs. Aurelio Castrellon, Alejandra Fuentes, and Adriana Milillo Naraine.
In addition, many of our doctors specialize in specific cancers whom they see in their OP offices. When on call, IP doctors see all types of cancers but specialize in certain cancer(s) in their offices.
These are the OP Clinics (also referred to as disease-specific clinics):
- MHW Lung/Head and Neck Cancers: Drs. Luis Raez and Gelenis Domingo
- MHW Gastrointestinal Cancers: Dr. Pablo Ferraro
- MRH Melanoma/Sarcoma/Brain Cancers: Dr. Atif Hussein
In the morning, the fellows will be either in IP rotations (3 of them, IP MHCT West, IP O East, and IP O West) or in a disease specific clinic (OP East BCC, OP West BCC, OP Lung/Head and Neck cancers, OP West Gastrointestinal Cancers, or OP East Melanoma/Sarcoma/Brain Cancers Clinic) working with different oncologists who specialize in those diseases.
There are two breast cancer disease specific outpatient clinics:
- MRH East Breast Cancer Center: Drs. Marcel Blaya and Delia Guaqueta
- MHW West Breast Cancer Center: Drs. Aurelio Castrellon, Alejandra Fuentes, and Adriana Milillo Naraine
There will be a Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy office in the new freestanding cancer center (tentatively scheduled to open in winter 2024).
- MRH Floor 8 Central
- MHW Floor 7 West
Fellows will have three (3) IP rotations:
- MHW Floor 3 West (referred to as MHW IP MHCT in the block schedule)
- MRH Floor 8 Central (referred to as MRH IP H/O)
- MHW Floor 7 West (Referred to as MHW IP H/O)
- "H/O" refers to Hematology/Oncology
MHCT physicians only see malignant hematology and not benign hematology. As a result, benign hematology patients will be seen by the fellows covering 8 Central at East and 7 West at West.
In the afternoon, fellows will be in their own Continuity Clinic (CC) one afternoon a week. In their CC, they will see their own patients throughout the 3-year training with a physician supervision. Those are their patients and not the supervising physician’s patients.
- Site 1: Memorial Hospital West
- Site 2: Memorial Regional Hospital
- Site 3: Memorial Hospital Miramar
Inpatient Rotations (IP)
- Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy (MHCT) [Site 1 only]
- Benign Hematology/Oncology (H/O) [Site 1 or 2]
Outpatient Electives (E)
- Breast Cancer Clinic
- Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy Clinic
- Benign Hematology Clinic
- Infusion Suite Rotation
- Palliative Care
- Radiation Oncology
- Scholarly Activity
- General Hematology/Oncology Clinic (i.e., lung, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, head and neck, neuro-oncology)
- Transfusion Medicine/Coagulation/Apheresis
Fellows present Mondays from 12-1 pm.
Board Review Questions moderated by our chief fellows Fridays from 7:30-8:30 am.
Core Curriculum Lecture Series
Faculty presents weekly grand rounds Fridays from 12-1 pm, followed by fellows presentation from 1-2 pm.
Once a month on Tuesdays at noon.
Once a quarter on Fridays.
Three fellows will be on call during weekends, weeknight, and holidays.
- Weekends: Fridays from 5 pm to Monday at 8 am (3 fellows).
- Weeknights: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays from 5 pm to 7 am the next day (1 fellow).
- Holidays: 3 fellows
Three (3) fellows will be on call during weekends, weeknight, and holidays covering:
- East Team: Including the nine (9) East breast cancer doctors
- West Team: Including the 10 West breast cancer doctors
- Malignant Hematology & Cellular Therapy Team: Including the eight (8) doctors
There are 24 multidisciplinary tumor boards held every four weeks.
- Monday [7:30 am - 8:30 am] Lung cancer
- Tuesday [8 am - 9 am] Hematology
- Tuesday [12 pm - 1 pm] Molecular cancer (Moffitt)
- Tuesday [4 pm - 5 pm] Neuro-oncology and GU
- Wednesday [7:30 am - 8:30 am] Gastrointestinal
- Thursday [8 am - 9 am] Breast cancer
- Friday [7:30 am - 8:30 am] Head and Neck, Hepatobiliary/General, and Gynecology cancers
- E: Elective
- IP: Inpatient
- OP: Outpatient
- R: Research
- O: Oncology
- CC: Continuity Clinic
- VCT: Vacation
|PGY4 Block Schedule|
|PGY5 Block Schedule|
|PGY6 Block Schedule|
It matters to you. It matters to us.
Quality and Safety Data for Memorial Healthcare System
Our goal is to provide our patients with the information they need to make informed choices for themselves and their families.View Quality and Safety
You have a Right to Know About Prices
We want to give you the information you need to make important healthcare decisions, including the costs of our services.View Pricing
View test results, schedule follow-up appointments, request prescription refills and more.Login or Sign-up to MyChart