I was raised in a family of surgeons, so I always knew I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. During my training, I developed a passion for both surgery and the clinical care of patients, where I get to spend time with patients and help to manage their care and conditions. As a gastroenterologist, I get to enjoy both of these areas of medicine while also bringing new and advanced treatment options to patients as an advanced endoscopist. There is nothing more fulfilling than being able to use these technological advances to confirm a diagnosis for patients and, many times, even resolve their issues.
I work with many patients who have very complex cases and do my best to provide information, answers to their questions and support. My patients always have a way to contact me, and I take their trust in me and my team to heart.
Before joining Memorial, I was the Director of Endoscopy and Assistant Professor at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for many years.
Universidade Federal de Rio de Janeiro, 1989
University of Miami / Jackson Healthcare System, 1995
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1997, Internal Medicine
Mayo Clinic, 2001, Gastroenterology
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1998, Gastroenterology
University of Toronto, 2002, Gastroenterology
Awards, Achievements, and More
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Association for Study of Liver Disease
- European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Therapeutic EUS, SOBED, Recife, Brazil, 2017
- Endoscopic case discussion, Recife, Brazil, 2017
- Endoscopic Suturing, Recife, Brazil, 2017
- Therapeutic EUS: Florida Gastroenterologic Society’s 2017 Annual Meeting
- PSC: Current Endoscopic Management – South Beach GI Congress, 2017
- Therapeutic EUS- South Beach GI Congress 2016 09/16-17/2016
- EUS VISTA Courses 2014-15
- Eric Reiss Award for Outstanding Teaching Award, Jackson Memorial Hospital Department of Medicine-Medical Service, 1997