Chief, Urologic Oncology
I am a urologist and director of urologic oncology at Memorial Cancer Institute. Throughout my 40-year career, I have made significant contributions to the understanding and treatment of prostate, bladder and kidney cancer. I am honored to be one of the internally recognized leaders in the field of urologic oncology.
Early in my career, I had the opportunity to work at the National Cancer Institute, where I began my focus on bladder cancer. I applied what we learned in the laboratory to the clinic and watched the knowledge change lives. This fueled my thirst for continuous exploration of the disease and the treatments we use to combat it.
Each case of cancer is incredibly different, and this is especially so in bladder cancer. In some cases we can maintain careful monitoring, while other times we must act quickly to address aggressive disease. At Memorial, we have medical oncologists specializing in urologic cancer who can make the necessary judgment call who also have access to radiation therapy with state-of-the-art equipment to deliver all levels of care.
In addition to my work in patient care and research, I have contributed to the field of education, where I’m known for my case-based teaching. I served as professor and chairman at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s Department of Urology from 1991 until 2010. I have also published more than 500 articles in peer-reviewed journals and lecture extensively in the United States and worldwide.
I was also chosen twice to chair the International Consultation on Urologic Diseases Recommendation Panel on Bladder Cancer (2004 and 2011), a committee that makes recommendations on all aspects of bladder cancer.
Case Western Reserve School Of Medicine, 1968
University Hospital Of Cleveland, 1970, Surgery
University Hospital Of Cleveland, 1975, Urology
American Board of Urology-Urology
Awards, Achievements, and More
- American Urological Association
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons (AAGUS)
- Southeastern Section, American Urologic Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Association of Cancer Research
- Fellow American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Urological Research Society
- Society of Urologic Oncology
- German Urology Association (honorary member)
- Dutch Urologic Society (honorary member)
- Buffalo Urologic Society (honorary member)
- St. Paul’s Medal, British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS), 2015
- Whitmore Memorial Lecture, Society of Urologic Oncology, 2014
- Lifetime Achievement Award, International Urology Society, 2013
- Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Athens School of Medicine, 2012
- Presidential Citation, American Urologic Association, 2008
- Gold Cystoscope Award, American Urologic Association, 1984
- More than 50 Visiting Professorships
- Phi Beta Kappa
- AOA, Junior year
- North Central Section of the American Urological Association Traveling Fellowship Award, 1972-73