James Salerno, MD
Chief, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation | Medical Director, Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
Chief, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Medical Director, Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
Dr. James A. Salerno is a board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physician. He specializes in the treatment of post-transplant, cancer and medically complex patients, including those with cardio-pulmonary dysfunction.
Dr. Salerno received his medical degree in 2003 from the University of Florida College of Medicine. He completed his first residency in internal medicine in 2006 from the University of Florida College of Medicine and served as chief resident of the internal medicine residency program before moving to South Florida for his residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. Prior to joining Memorial, Dr. Salerno served as both division chief and medical director of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach.
Dr. Salerno approaches the treatment of every patient with concern and sensitivity to their beliefs regarding treatment and their goals. He strives for excellence with a hands-on style of care.
University Of Florida-Gainesville, 2003
University Of Florida-Gainesville, 2004, Internal Medicine
University Of Florida-Gainesville, 2006, Internal Medicine
University Of Miami, 2010, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Awards, Achievements, and More
- Investigator, Traumatic Brain Injury Data Collection, University of Miami Department of Rehabilitation, investigation of the demographic data of the traumatic brain injury patients of the Miami area under Diana Cardenas, M.D., M.H.A., 2008 – 2010
- Co-Principal Investigator, Department of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, University of Florida College of Medicine. Investigation of “a correlation of Sphinctor of Oddi pressures taken from a solid state catheter and the current standard of a triple lumen catheter” under Peter Draganov, M.D., 2004
- Co-Principal Investigator, General Clinical Research Center, University of Florida College of Medicine, Investigation of “The Role of Gender in Insulin Sensitivity and Lactate Threshold Following Graded Exercise” under Peter W. Stacpoole, Ph.D., M.D., 1999
- Research Assistant, Department of Biology, University of Miami. Investigation of “Multi-locus Genetic Evidence for Rapid Ecologically Based Speciation in Daphnia” under Ken Spitze, Ph.D., 1998
- International Consultation on Urological Infections, first author on the chapter on urinary tract infections in spinal cord injuries, 2009
- Reviewer of the update to the Third Year Handbook: Medical Student Guide to the Wards at the University of Florida (internal medicine section) 2003
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Florida Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Florida Medical Association