I am a pediatric palliative care physician at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I work with a variety of patients ranging from those with congenital disorders to oncologic conditions to challenging and unforeseen diagnoses. I specialize in being an extra support system for these patients with medical complexities and their families.
In medical school, I quickly fell in love with pediatric medicine. I appreciated how the dedicated multidisciplinary staff worked together to improve the health of children. Palliative care offers a unique approach to patient care. I can spend time with families to further their understanding and help achieve the best quality of life for patients in difficult situations.
The medical system can be very complex and, at times, isolating; however, my role as a palliative care provider gives me the opportunity and time to truly get to know the children and families in my care. My goal is always to help them through the challenging moments and to focus on the big picture so they can move forward.
Albany Medical College, 2019
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 2022, Pediatrics
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, 2023, Hospice and Palliative Medicine
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
Awards, Achievements, and More
- American Academy of Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Hibbs MJ, Coleman M, Beveridge MS. Exploring the ethical and moral implications of requiring informed consent to determine death by neurologic criteria. Accepted for presentation at AAHPM National Conference; 2023 March 24; Montreal, Canada
- Hibbs MJ, Beveridge MS. Are You All “Write”: A pediatric-centric narrative medicine curriculum to reduce resident physician burnout. Presented at the UT Southwestern Scholarly Symposium; 2022 June 3; Dallas, Texas
- Hibbs MJ, Wang W, Chang Z. Goals of care discussions with Pentecostal patient. Presented at UT Consortium of Hospice & Palliative Medicine; 2022 October 28; San Antonio, Texas
- Hibbs MJ. A child with lymphadenopathy. Presented at Children’s Medical Center Resident Midday Report; 2020 December 12; Dallas, Texas
- Hibbs MJ. Delayed therapeutic hypothermia for severe HIE. Presented at Children’s Medical Center Noon Conference; 2022 March 3; Dallas, Texas
- Hibbs, MJ. Prognostication in trisomy 13. Presented at UT Southwestern Palliative Care Rounds; 2022 November 29; Dallas, Texas
- Hibbs, MJ. To stent or not to stent, that is the question. To be presented at UT Southwestern Palliative Care Rounds; 2023 April 25; Dallas, Texas
- PFC William J. Walker Endowed Scholarship, Albany Medical College, 2018
- Vice President’s Award for Service and Leadership, University of Miami, 2015