Adiel Smith, MD
Aventura, FL 33180
I am an ophthalmologist at Memorial Healthcare System. I specialize in the medical and surgical treatment of macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular diseases, ocular inflammation and infections, macular holes, macular puckers and retinal detachments.
I received my undergraduate degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where I majored in mechanical engineering with a specialty in medical device design. I worked for four years at Johnson & Johnson, designing and helping to manufacture the first-ever drug-eluting cardiac stent. This experience motivated me to pursue a medical career. I earned my medical degree from the University of Miami, while simultaneously performing research at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.
After graduating from medical school, I completed an ophthalmology residency at the prestigious Wills Eye Hospital – the oldest eye hospital in America – and entered a two-year fellowship in Vitreoretinal Surgery and diseases of the Retina and Macula at the Cole Eye Institute of the Cleveland Clinic.
In addition to providing patient care, I publish scientific peer-reviewed publications and present my research at both local and national ophthalmology meetings. I have also served as a sub-investigator for more than a dozen clinical trials – many in the area of macular degeneration, diabetes and imaging technology.
I'm also a board-certified diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology, and an active member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Retina Specialists, and the Florida Society of Ophthalmology.
I'm also a Surgical Affiliate Faculty Member at the FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine.
- University Of Miami School Of Medicine, 2009
- Albert Einstein Medical Center, 2010, Transitional
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 2013, Ophthalmology
- Cole Eye Institute: Oral Epleronone for the Treatment of Chronic CSCR - 9 Month Data The Effects of Bariatric Surgery and Intensive Medical Therapy on Diabetic Retinopathy - 2 Year Data Intraoperative OCT DOCTR (Digital OCT reading center): developed research protocols for research studies, 2013-15.
- The Wills Eye Institute: Optic Disk Pit Maculopathy - Case Series and Evaluation of Treatment Outcomes Acute Leukemia presenting as Serous Retinal Detachment - Case Series and Review of Literature, 2011-13.
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute: Optic nerve head imaging of peripapillary atrophy with HD-OCT, 2008-09.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Medical Devices and Implants course: Designing a new glaucoma drainage device Oceanography Lab: Created lab equipment for study of wave dynamics Materials Science Lab: Designing a better cement Senior Engineering Design Course: Remote-controlled water rescue device, 2005-09.
- Los Alamos National Labs: Nuclear Fuel Research Lab: Designed/developed equipment for transmutation of waste for the purpose of reducing half-life of nuclear waste, 2000
- The University of Texas at Austin: Zoology Lab: Studied the effects of environmental estrogens on the red-eared slider turtle, which exhibits temperature-dependent sex determination, 1996-98.
- Retina World Congress; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; March 2019 Smith, Adiel; Poster Session: Sustained Diabetic Retinopathy Severity Improvement with Intravitreal Aflibercept in Diabetic Macular Edema: a Post Hoc Analysis of the VIVID and VISTA Trials.
- North Coast Retina Symposium; Cleveland, OH May 2017 1) Smith, Adiel; Medical case presentation: Subretinal tPA for Ongoing Submacular Hemorrhages.
- ASRS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA; August 2014 1) Smith, Adiel; Sears, Jonathan E.; Bedi, Rumneek; Schachat , Andrew P.; Ehlers, Justis P.; Kaiser, Peter K.; Singh, Rishi P. Paper Session: Oral Epleronone for the Treatment of Chronic CSCR – 9 Month Data.
- 2) Smith, Adiel. Case Presentation: An atypical case of CSCR.
- North Coast Retina Symposium; Cleveland, OH; May 2014 1) Smith, Adiel. Medical case presentation: Pigment epithelial detachment with subretinal fluid: 3 cases.
- 2) Smith, Adiel. Surgical case presentation: Surgical approach to an unusual Ozurdex implant migration.
- ARVO Annual Meeting, Orland, FL; May 2014 Smith, Adiel; Schaeur, Philip R.; Kashyap, Sangeeta R.; Wolski, Kathi; Brethauer, Stacy A.; Kirwan, John P.; Gans, Richard; Nissen, Steven E.; Bhatt, Deepak L.; Singh, Rishi P. The Effects of Bariatric Surgery and Intensive Medical Therapy on Diabetic Retinopathy - 2 Year Data.
- Cole Eye Institute. Grand Rounds. Gave 2 separate 20-minute retina-based presentations to audience of faculty, fellows, and residents. 2013-2014.
- ARVO Annual Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL; May 2012 Smith, Adiel; Shah, Rajiv; Hsu, Jason; Brown, Gary; Regillo, Carl; Sivalingam, Arunan; Maguire, Joseph; Spirn, Marc. Treatment Outcomes in Optic Disk Pit Maculopathy.
- Wills Eye Institute. Chiefs Rounds: Gave 10 separate 20-minute presentations to audience of faculty, fellows, and residents during residency. 2010 – 2013.
- Wills Eye Institute. Visiting Professor Rounds: Gave 3 separate 20-minute presentations to audience of faculty, fellows, and residents during residency. 2010 – 2013.
- Wills Eye Institute Alumni Conference. February 2012. Treatment Outcomes in Optic Disk Maculopathy.
- Atlantic Coast Retina Club. Case presentation: Aicardi’s Syndrome. September 2011.
- Atlantic Coast Retina Club. Case presentation: Choroidal Metastasis. January 2011.
- Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL; 11/2008. Smith A, Blandon RJ, Araoz PA, Whiteman MS, Kirsch J. Coronary Artery Aneurysms in Neurofibromatosis 1.
- ARVO Annual Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL; May 2008
- Smith AG, Rajpara RS, Gregori G, Knighton RW, Anderson DR, Lee RK. In vivo Histological Char- acterization of White Peripapillary Atrophy Using Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography.
- Rajpara RS, Whipple K, Smith AG, Gregori G, Knighton RW, Lee RK, Anderson DR. In Vivo Retinal Histology of Shields Gray Crescents by Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography.
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance and Lemelson Foundation. Finalist and Grant recipient. Product demonstration at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. 2002.