Mia Shapiro, MD
I am a board-certified general surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System and treat a wide variety of diseases from soft tissue to benign diseases of the colon. I trained in New York City where I was exposed to a diverse group of patients and pathologies. Following my general training, I pursued a fellowship in laparoscopic foregut surgery where I focused on treating hernias, dysphagia and reflux disease.
I use mostly minimally invasive techniques and incorporate robotic technology, especially for inguinal and ventral hernia repairs where I feel patients really benefit from the approach.
I knew that I wanted to be a doctor for a long time, but didn't always know what specialty I would pursue. As a young adult, I loved drawing and photography, but in school was most drawn to the field of biology. Surgery is the perfect discipline for me because I can combine my visual and manual skills with my mastery of biology/pathology.
I love operating and enjoy using my skills to directly help patients to improve their lives. I am always open and upfront about the realities of surgery and encourage patients to be active decision makers in their care.
- Related Medical Services
- Albert Einstein College Of Medicine, 2011
- Nyu School Of Medicine, 2012, Surgery
- Nyu School Of Medicine, 2015
- Nyu School Of Medicine, 2018, Surgery
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, 2015, Surgical Oncology
- Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, 2019, Bariatric Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Society
- Shapiro M, Nandi B, Gonzalez G, Prabhala RH, Huang Q, Munshi NC, Frank NY, Gold, JS. Deficiency of the immunostimulatory cytosine IL-21 promotes intestinal neoplasia. Academic Surgical Conference 2015.
- Shapiro M, Chen Q, Huang Q, Boosalis VA, Yoon CH, Saund MS, Whang EE, Gold, JS. Socioeconomic disparities exist for application of resection for pancreas cancer, but not for survival of resected patients. Association of VA Surgeons Meeting 2015.
- Shapiro M, Rashid NU, Qin H, Galper SL, Boosalis VA, Yoon CH, Saund MS, Whang EE, Gold JS. Radiation therapy for unresectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma: population based trends in utilization and survival in the United States. Association of VA Surgeons Meeting 2014.
- Shapiro M, Rashid NU, Whang EE, Boosalis VA, Huang Q, Yoon CH, Saund MS, Gold JS. Trends and Predictors of Resection of the Primary Tumor in Patients with Stage IV Colorectal Cancer: Operating Despite Guidelines. Society of Surgical Oncology Meeting 2014.
- Shapiro M, Mednick A, Anderson M, Samayoa B, Alonzo KA, Arathoon E. A pilot study of patientreferred partner notification using coupons in Guatemala. Global Health Education Consortium (GHEC) Conference 2009.
- Amabile NA, Angeli FS, Shapiro M, Orcino G, Jahn S, Burjonroppa S, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Grossman W, Yeghiazarians Y. Post-infarct prolonged cytokine combination therapy prevents left 4 ventricular remodeling in a porcine model of ischemia-reperfusion. European Society of Cardiology Congress 2007.
- Yeghiazarians Y, Angeli FS, Shapiro M, Amabile N, Orcino G, Burjonroppa S, Zhang Y, Glantz SA, Chatterjee K, Grossman W. Effects of prolonged combined therapy with Erythropoietin and Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor on left ventricular mechanics in a closed-chest porcine ischemia-reperfusion modeling. European Society of Cardiology Congress 2007.
- Kosmicki DL, Shapiro M, Weeks SG, Foster E, Michaels AD. The effect of nesiritide on left ventricular diastolic function. American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions, Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2007.
- Efstratiadis S, Palfreyman E, Shapiro M, Weeks SG, Foster E, Michaels AD. Computerized acoustic cardiographic electromechanical activation time correlates with invasive and echocardiographic parameters of left ventricular contractility. International Society for Computerized Electrocardiography Scientific Sessions, J Electrocardiol 2007.
- Shah SJ, Weeks SG, Shapiro M, Foster E, Michaels AD. Intravenous nesiritide decreases contractility in humans: observations from pressure-volume analysis. American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions, Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2007.
- Shapiro M, Bradley S, Fielding C, Fielding G, Kurian M. Laparoscopic conversion of sleeve leak to gastric bypass after multiple failed endoscopic interventions. 21st World Congress of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders, 2016.