Yamil Selman, MD
I am a cancer surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System, where I care for patients with tumors of the head and neck, sinus disease and upper airway disorders.
I specialize in comprehensive surgery for cancers of the head, neck, face, oral cavity, skull base and throat. I also perform complex reconstruction of the head and neck, minimally invasive transoral robotic surgery, endoscopic skull base and sinus surgery, and laser surgery.
While in college, I witnessed the impact that a great doctor can have on a patient and immediately knew that if I chose any other profession, I would spend the rest of my life thinking about that moment. I gravitated toward head and neck surgical oncology because of the challenging anatomy and complex surgery. I also love the process of guiding patients through the diagnosis, treatment and recovery phases of cancer.
My approach to care is based on candid and compassionate communication. There is so much that head and neck cancer patients need to be aware of so they may understand their diagnosis and treatment options, and we can constructively make decisions as a team.
I love the long-term relationships I develop with my patients, many of whom I follow for years. I also enjoy collaboratively working with all types of physicians and care providers to deliver comprehensive care.
In addition to working with patients, I am a member of the American Head and Neck Society, the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and the North American Skull Base Society. I also enjoy teaching, and during my residency, I earned the Resident Teaching Award for excellence in clinical and surgical training of junior ENT residents.
Meet Dr. Selman
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, 2015
- Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami, 2016, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami, 2020, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- Jefferson Medical College, 2021, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- Resident Teaching Award for Outstanding Clinical and Surgical Instruction, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, June 2020
- C. Richard Bowman Award for Clinical Excellence, University of Virginia School of Medicine, August 2014
- American Head and Neck Society
- The American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- North American Skull Base Society
- Selman Y, Sabra J, Sargi Z. Comparison of head and neck cancer outcomes in patients with various forms of immunosuppression. American Academy of Otolaryngology Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, Oct. 9, 2018.
- Bas E, Selman Y, Goldstein B, Gupta C, Eshraghi A, Van De Water TR. Cochlear electrode implantation trauma causes over-expression of TGF-β1 and activation of the Wnt/β-catenin pathway in an in vitro model. Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Baltimore, Maryland, 2013.
- Selman Y, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Lopez O, Alvarez C, Milikowski C, Gomez C, Jorda M, Gluck S, Torroella-Kouri M. The use of macrophages as prognostic markers in T1 macrophages. 2012 Zubrod Lecture and Research Poster Presentation, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, May 22, 2011.
- Shiverick KT, Li M, Selman Y, Medrano T, Cao W, Frost S, Rosser CJ. Differential effects of soy isoflavones on Akt and vimentin expression in human prostate cancer cells and mouse xenograft tumors. AACR Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 17-21, 2010.
- Shiverick KT, Selman Y, Mira JC, Povasnick S, Cao W, McKenna R, Silverman D, Frost S, Rosser CJ. Effects of Acetazolamide on tumor microenvironment in vitro and in mouse xenograft tumors. American Association for Cancer Research Meeting, Denver, Colorado, April 18-22, 2009.
- Mira JC, Shiverick KT, Porvasnik S, Selman Y, Medrano T, Rosser CJ. Effects of Acetazolamide on human prostate cancer xenografts. University of Florida & Morehouse College HHMI Celebration of Undergraduate Creativity in the Arts & Sciences, Gainesville, Florida, Jan. 11, 2009.
- Shiverick KT, Cao W, Mira J, Selman Y, Block J, Nseyo O, Medrano T, Rosser CJ. Differential effects of soy isoflavones on the tumor microenvironment in human prostate cancer xenografts. American Urology Association Meeting, Orlando, Florida, May 17-22, 2008.
- Shiverick KT, Cao W, Medrano TA, Mira J, Selman Y, Rice LP, Rosser CJ. A soy isoflavone diet inhibits growth of human prostate xenograft tumors and sensitizes to radiotherapy in mice. 11th International Workshop on the Tumor Microenvironment, South Beach, Florida, May 15-17, 2008.
- Selman Y, Arciniegas R, Sabra J, Ferreira T, Arnold D. Endotracheal cuff pressure monitoring in critically ill inpatients: A quality assessment of the minimal leak test. American Academy of Otolaryngology Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, Oct. 10, 2018.
- Wood JW, Bas E, Gupta C, Selman Y, Eshraghi A, Telischi FF, Van De Water TR. Mannitol protects hair cells against Gentamicin-induced losses in vitro. 146th Annual Meeting American Ontological Society, Orlando, Florida, 2013.
- Selman Y, Shiverick KT. Novel approaches to prostate cancer therapy: Manipulating epigenetics and the tumor microenvironment. NIH Minority Summer Research Fellowship, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, July 20, 2008.
- Selman Y, Shiverick KT. The effects of Carbonic Anhydrase IX inhibition on prostate cancer progression. University Scholars Program Research Symposium, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, Feb. 29, 2008.