Afonso Ribeiro, MD
Medical Director, Advanced Endoscopy and Gastroenterology, Memorial Healthcare System
I am the medical director of advanced endoscopy and gastroenterology at Memorial Healthcare System. I specialize in caring for and treating patients with cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions, Barrett's esophagus and other gastrointestinal concerns.
I specialize in performing complex endoscopy procedures, which allow us to get a look inside a patient's body and organs to better understand their medical condition. This information can help us determine a diagnosis, and choose treatment options for different conditions and diseases.
When meeting a new patient, my first priority is to listen. I want to hear about what they are experiencing, their symptoms, and learn about their worries and concerns. Next, I arm patients and their families with information, so they know what to expect before, during and after their procedure.
I enjoy working with the collaborative teams at Memorial Cancer Institute. Together, we are able to provide comprehensive care for patients throughout their cancer journey.
- Escola De Ciencias Medicas De Volta Redonda, 1989
- University Of Miami-Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1993, Internal Medicine
- Universidade Federal Fiuminense, 1992
- University Of Miami-Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1995, Internal Medicine
- Mayo Clinic Rochester, 1999, Gastroenterology
- University Of Miami School Of Medicine, 1996
- University Of Toronto, 2001